Working out what part is what! (how to ID Campag parts)

LukeFRC

Dirt Disciple
Hello!

So last friday I saw a bike listed on ebay, pick up only, and put a cheeky bid in expecting it to go for a lot more... it didn't and I ended up going accross the country to pick it up... not what I wanted to do with my saturday but I got a bike out of it.

As I'm new, a wee introduction...
I used to go mountian biking with my mates - but found on the flat stuff I could leave them al behind and when we got off road... well I just wasn't very good - my hard tale mountain bike became a commuter clocking up thousands of miles, being used and abused and getting steadily thinner tyres.
I saw an old frame on gumtree and picked it up with the aim of building a slightly quicker, racier bike. That plan slightly changed when I realised it would be cheaper to pick up either a different bike or a doner than all the individual parts... hence the ebay bid....

so I go and get the bike - an awesome looking raleigh special products division frame in 531c - a wee bit big for me but all the bikes i've ever owned are apparently too big for me (ive short legs and a v. long body), vento g3 wheel set and a box of the parts for it....
he meantioned that the older parts were in the box as well, so I figure there's a pile of old rubbish in there....

and get it back home to discover enough parts to make two bikes up - and almost all of it being campagnolo parts, some older, some newer - with the odd more modern shimano ultrga (?sp) breaks and the like....

so my question is...

what's the best way to ID old campag stuff? (looked though old catalogs and a lot of it looks quite similar at different time periods!)
there are numbers on everything but how do you decipher it?

and how do you decide what to stick on the bike? (as I write this I figure I should probably take pictures so you can see!)

Welcome to the site, this is definitely the place to get the advice and identification you need.

Sounds like you've got a good deal there, how come I can never find something like this :(

What you put on the bike depends on the age of the bike and the parts, and what you want to do with it.

Being an SBDU Raleigh, I'd put the best bits on it I could find, and then sell the rest on here or ebay (or I'll take them off your hands if you like ;) )

Post some pictures up and we'll do our best at identifying them. Or try Velobase, they have alot of pics to identify items by.

Cheers,

Stu

A photo would be good

Identifying Campagnolo parts takes quite a bit of study actually since, as you already noted, many parts look the same, and in certain cases a small difference could mean the hundreds of dollars if the part is rare.

You could start here:

http://www.velobase.com/ListComponents. ... 35db7ef3a1

That is a lot to slog through but it is a good place to become educated

Steven

:) I think I'm in the right place for some help here.... lets get some photos on photo bucket....

hmmm.... i've 8 speed rear cassette.... 9 speed shifters and a 10 speed rear derailer.... odd.

LukeFRC":226038q4 said:
hmmm.... i've 8 speed rear cassette.... 9 speed shifters and a 10 speed rear derailer.... odd.

Happens all the time with older bikes

Right.... Crank Set #1
Campagnolo..... and oh the printed logo has been worn away...
cranks have 24 on the back and the drive side one a 19 in a circle.
chain rings are marked 53/39 (big) and 39-c9 (small) bith with Brev Campagnolo, made in italy and a C in a diamond. The chainring bolts have campagnolo printed on them, but damn one missing. :(
P1050637_zps4b00cdc0.jpg

P1050638_zps8570f1fa.jpg

P1050639_zps39becd35.jpg
P1050640_zpseb75f079.jpg

P1050641_zps6a3b1fec.jpg

Crank set #2
Older, slightly lighter. Engraved logo at top of cranks - the bolts have somekind of metal holder.
Chain rings are marked 52 and 42.
Cranks have on back....
5/1 170 [31] 9/16" x 20F and 170 [11] 9/16"x20F
the number in the box I think is a date? mid 80's?
P1050643_zpse3d797eb.jpg

P1050644_zpsb0b590ba.jpg

P1050645_zpsdbf06990.jpg

Break leavers... easy 9 speed mirage shifters/breaks! I like it when it says on them! :)
P1050642_zps64eed052.jpg

Front derailur #1
Mirage braize on fitting (with a clamp)
P1050647_zpsc3d5f418.jpg

Front derailur #2
Who knows, weighs less than the other one (with the clamp), missing the bolt at the back. My guess is it's the older one?
P1050646_zps228fed28.jpg

Breakset #1
Mirage breaks init?
P1050648_zps88b0fd59.jpg

Breakset #2
Shimano Ultegra rear and 105 front. I don't know but these seem higher quality than the campag mirage breaks. But that's just based on looking at them/weight/mechanical prettyness.
P1050649_zps6a87b067.jpg

Rear Derailur #1 .... says on it veloce 10 speed! missing it's cable fixing bolt.
P1050652_zpsf80e16d8.jpg

Rear Derailur #2 older? heavier and says campagnolo. 4 stamped inside. Shorter cage by quite a bit than the other. possibly the adjuster for the cable is missing or sheared off.
P1050653_zpseced8c17.jpg

P1050654_zpsa7ba4329.jpg

Two stems.... an odd one this. One labeled Cinelli, the other (longer one) labeled Pearl 11. The fella I bought this bag of bits off said he'd spent a fair bit on the pearl one... it weighs loads compared to the cinelli one! He was a big fella so prob needed the extra length.
P1050650_zps8be83476.jpg

so....

advice.... what to stick on.
My guess is that the more modern crankset, the veloce 10 speed rear mech and the integrated shifters go together. and the other stuff is the older stuff.

The older crankset is Campagnolo Victory. Very collectible. I tried for a long time to get a decent one. They look brilliant when cleaned and polished up. From around 1986.

You seem to have most of a campag group and it will build up to be a great bike...

Sell the shimano on here to fund the build....

Stephen

Longer stem is a Nitto Pearl 11 cm long......... Classic Nitto with triangular captive nut holding bars and a wedge holding in the stem in the steerer. Track and fixie guys like them because they are stiff (and heavy as a consequence).

Shaun

kettlo":2eqxcgd5 said:
The older crankset is Campagnolo Victory. Very collectible. I tried for a long time to get a decent one. They look brilliant when cleaned and polished up. From around 1986.

You seem to have most of a campag group and it will build up to be a great bike...

Sell the shimano on here to fund the build....

Stephen

:) yep hoping it will all come together. few Q. -
Any opinion on what parts to bolt on? So many options! or just try and see?
why sell the shimano? - are the veloce breaks better?

Back