Impressed he stayed so calm...I wouldn't be

Technically speaking he's in his rights, but ...

There are a lot of cars going into that side street and exiting it, and this idiot just plows on without even braking as if he owns the whole road because he had his lights on ...

We have another candidate for the Darwin award.

Raging_Bulls":38ugr9ph said:
Technically speaking he's in his rights, but ...

There are a lot of cars going into that side street and exiting it, and this idiot just plows on without even braking as if he owns the whole road because he had his lights on ...

And his many hued cloak of self righteousness

He has the right of way, therefore why should he slow down, its a main road, he has his lights on to make him more visable, thats nothing to do with running him over.

Why would you brake, If cars braked for every junction there would be chaos,so why should cyclists. Having right of way means you dont have to slow down.

When it comes down to it, I don't give a toss about whether I have 'right of way' or not. I care about stupidity and keeping out of its way.

I want to know that the car that is sat behind the big van with no view of the road ahead in a queue filtering right isn't going to hit me because doesn't bloody think when he can see.

As for her in the focus driving over him & his bike.. and her amazement / total lack of awareness :facepalm: Yeah, I am impressed at how he kept his cool.

Sure, he has the right of way indeed. However that doesn't mean he's not an idiot.

1 ) He approaches a side street with lots of cars going in and out of it, some of them blocking the others' vision. Any sane person would slow down to a reasonable speed and get ready to brake hard, right of way or not.
Having the right of way doesn't mean you can just plow into any dangerous situation at such a speed that you can't stop anymore. Especially cyclists and motorcyclists should at all times ride defensively because they don't have a crumple zone.
Cycling on public roads, rule #1 : Always assume you're invisible and everyone else is mental.

2 ) The Golf driver didn't pay attention indeed. He had a clear view of the road at least half a second before he initiated his turn. It's a common mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.
HOWEVER : The cyclist had plenty of time to anticipate this. I saw it happen even before he started to turn, simply because he didn't stop. The cyclist even mentions seeing both cars and the ones before them (7:50-ish), so he was aware of the situation.
Not only did he fail to slow down as he entered an obviously dangerous situation, once it happened he didn't do a damn thing about it either. I don't see him slow down at all. He didn't move to the left either, which would have been another way to avoid the crash even without braking. He didn't even shout, which will usually attract car drivers' attention when they're doing a maneuver and cause them to hit the brake for an emergency stop. You'd be surprised how hard you can yell "Oi !" in a dangerous situation.

It's almost as if he approached the street and thought "oh sod it, If he turns, I'll just hit him, fall off and have a nice payday". Probably didn't count on the Focus running him over.
Actually, the first thing he says is that he wants the guy's insurance number, even before he checks himself or his bike out. Smells fishy ...

As for the lights, at around 5:30 you can clearly see the front light for several seconds. I wouldn't notice such a weak flash if I were driving and looking out for other cars.

There's very little to be gained from being technically right but dead. Assume that all other road users are halfwits.

Very sad that he while injured and in shock had to phone and go through that long winded process that these calls take now, while the 2 car drivers did f all to really help........dumb b's

I hope I would have backed off a little in case the van had stopped or made a slow crossing, which in turn might have given me a chance to avoid the idiot in the Golf.
He looked like he was trying to sweep straight past the van's rear, which was where the trouble started.

I would say that there wasn't defensive riding - which like defensive driving aims to minimize the effect of other road users being either incompetent or careless.

I've played this over and over ( and remember this is a cycle not a motorcycle) as far as i can see, the black car did have time to see him, but either didn't or thought, it's a slow vehicle i'll just buzz in...............as for the woman, i think she was again not 'seeing' the bike and was just looking at the black car turning, so she went for it too.......he was on a straight road........they were both waiting to turn THEY should have thought BIKE as i see it.

Back