Headset with maximum lower stack height

RobinB

Retro Newbie
I am looking for a replacement headset for a Principia Rex (1996/97 model). The standard headset is now long out of stock and no longer available. It has an extremely high lower stack height (approx 27 mm). It also appears to be a 1 1/4 size.

I am hoping to use a headset reducer to reduce down to 1 1/8 (this will give me about 2 mm on the lower stack height) but still need a 1 1/8 headset with (ideally) 25 mm of lower stack height to maintain the same steering geometery

Could anybody suggest a suitable headset to suit or any other alternative?

I've found a few posts on this site suggesting headsets with minimum lower stack heights but none for a maximum lower stack height

Any advice much appreciated

Ooof! That's confusing. A picture will help.

Unless this is a modern racing bike it is unlikely to be 1 1/8th (doesn't mean it's not, just unlikely).

Stack height is measured over the entire height of all the stack exposed i.e don't include the height of the part inside the frame.

Will upload a picture later

As per initial post, actual headset I believe is 1 /1/4 but I was planning to use reducer cups to bring down to 1 1/8

Agree the stack height is all the exposed headset - however some manufacturers quote a lower stack height and an upper stack height separately. What I'm after is a headset with a lower stack height as close as possible to 25 mm to match the current setup

25mm lower stack is huge! As is 1 1/4".

I really need to see a picture of this. What bike is it?

:shock:

Can we have a picture of the entire headtube including the upper part of the headset?

Oh yes Principia, sorry...

Not seen anything like that before but Google shows others:

IMG_1882.jpg

This is the top part of the headset - can't seem to save the image in a small enough file to display the whole head tube

Attachments

• Principia6.jpg
    Principia6.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 275
Back