Scooter/Motorbike recommendations for a novice

found a few others. Chute55 - i did read something recently about a rebranded copy of the CG engine produced under licence, but cant recall who did it.

found a CG 2003 for a decent price
"Careful now" - why would twin shocks at the back make for bad handling?

$T2eC16VHJHQFFhOcN95zBRcWsUdkeg~~48_80.JPG

also found a Jinlun for not much more than the CG above - but it seems alittle over the top for my needs - however, i am going to check it out:

$T2eC16JHJIIE9qTYI65WBReU7brMqg~~48_79.JPG

Twin shocks are an older design,they allow the wheel to twist around more than the monoshock design will,giving worse handling,with the rear wheel squirming around unnervingly while you're giiving it full 12 bhp knee down roundabout action. :facepalm:

Which is a bad thing,you want firmly planted tortured rubber for full thrillseeking fun. :cool:

careful now":202h7ayp said:
Twin shocks are an older design,they allow the wheel to twist around more than the monoshock design will,giving worse handling,with the rear wheel squirming around unnervingly while you're giiving it full 12 bhp knee down roundabout action. :facepalm:

Which is a bad thing,you want firmly planted tortured rubber for full thrillseeking fun. :cool:

i am far from seeking thrills at the moment! and there is only 1 roundabout on my commute to work :p

jailin seems to ring a bell. watch those cruiser chinese ones though they tend to be made from soft chocolate and rust to buggery (even have been known to rot the frame on the boat to the uk, dealers sending rusty ones to the scrappie as its to costly to send back) also the electrics get corroded real easy again ive ween 3 year old ones fail mot's due to electrics not working lights ect down to rusty connections. basicaly, go and see it but look under the tank and in the main loom behind the headlight and the battery terminals/main fuse, regulator rectifier for furry terminals, if you see a lot of bad stuff walk away as that will be in the genny as well and you will be forever chasing faults.
cg looks good though and at the end of the day honda wouldnt make them if they diddnt sell and they have been making them since the 80's. its a workhorse, pig ugly, slow and has no guts but so is a landrover and look how popular they are :D

Those Chinese copies are worthless. The engine internals are made from inferior alloys, making them wear rapidly. Avoid like the plague, especially if you want something that'll still be reliable in a year or two and will sell for the same price you bought it for.

Have you considered this option?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDafMzo4HO8[/youtube]

''CGs are cheap to run but twin shocks make for bad handling''......sorry that is just not true of the CG.....Perhaps some older twin shock designs........CG handling is very very good for a domestic 125.

Raging_Bulls":1xi0y4xz said:
Those Chinese copies are worthless. The engine internals are made from inferior alloys, making them wear rapidly. Avoid like the plague, especially if you want something that'll still be reliable in a year or two and will sell for the same price you bought it for.

Have you considered this option?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDafMzo4HO8[/youtube]
that sh*ts all over my kellogs spokey dokeys.....

Got to agree, CG's whilst not a sportsbike handle just fine. That cruiser chinese thing will be nightmare manoeuvring around town, especially Brighton with all the hills.

i am less keen on it! the CG i want to view seems like the better choice and within budget - plus spares exist for it too.... :p

so i managed to negotiate a deal on a Honda CG125 last night.
picking it up this saturday.
4500miles on the clock for a '99 reg.
all seems in good condition - with the exception of the chian possibly being too tight and the battery needs replacing (been sat unused for a year).
rear tire was a little flat, but a test run felt good.
ordered my Haynes manual already too.

Just got to get myself a jacket and appropriate legwear/footwear/gloves.....

pics to follow this weekend.

Latest posts

Back