Muddy Fox Courier Prestige

sinnerman":3bpatiwn said:
It is. ....and tbh, thats a small part of what makes this bike a little special... :cool:

Oh come on, spill the beans then! The suspense is killing me!

Edit: Is it a "made in Japan" one? i.e. Araya?

sinnerman":2z47rccl said:
Its FAR from a regular Courier and certainly not a repaint. (well not by an owner anyway... ;) )

Intriguingly cryptic - what do you think it is?

'Prestige' is amusing, they must have just got that from a Google search or something - nothing at all about the bike to suggest Prestige

Or judging by your post in the MF fan thread maybe it is a prestige...? Curiouser and curiouser!

jaypee":1g7i1jwy said:
sinnerman":1g7i1jwy said:
Its FAR from a regular Courier and certainly not a repaint. (well not by an owner anyway... ;) )

'Prestige' is amusing, they must have just got that from a Google search or something - nothing at all about the bike to suggest Prestige

And clearly visible in picture number 4 near the top of the seatube is the Tange MTB sticker too suggesting it is not that special.

TangeCroMoMTB-1.jpg

it is worth saving but I wouldn't be under any illusions of what it is.

Going back and looking at this the more I think it could be one of the oddball transitional or ltd edition bikes (like my '89 Courier Comp with U brake instead of Cantis) that MF seemed to come out with as it appears to have the same frame design as the '89 courier just with different U-brake placement, but the '88 decal design and an Exage Mountain Group, which would have been just a little lower in spec than the Courier Comp that had Mountain LX. The Catalogue spec for the Courier was Suntour/Sugino/Diacompe in the end.

Carl.

Carl.

jaypee":14i1cl9a said:
sinnerman":14i1cl9a said:

I have only ever seen a handful, and they were not to my knowledge part of a range in any brochure.

But instead offered as a limited run of Shimano Equipped Couriers instead of the usual Suntour offerings.

This was the only model i ever saw that had a MFX disc attached in Black and white instead of the Normal Yellow and Black too. (granted it was at a trade show).

It did come in Red with White decals too.

drcarlos":3m5n26b0 said:
jaypee":3m5n26b0 said:
sinnerman":3m5n26b0 said:

And clearly visible in picture number 4 near the top of the seatube is the Tange MTB sticker too suggesting it is not that special.

TangeCroMoMTB-1.jpg

Carl.

Really......... :roll: You have surprised me TBH.

I would have thought given what it is, (regardless of what Frame tubing it is,) there is no other MuddyFox MORE worth saving... :?

Carl im sure you have heard by now the Story Of Rodger "TUSHINGHAM" and Lester "NOBLE"...and there joint venture with the Mountain bike before Noble left Tushingham and went on his Own and formed what was to become the Dominant force that is Orange Mountain bikes....?

This MuddyFox shares the exact same platform as the "TUSHINGHAM B52".

You wont see many, if any, especially after this many years, But it doesnt have to be top of the range to be regarded as "Special".

If you were to put the two bikes together, other than the branded spec items, you couldnt tell them apart.

It even has the two water bottle bosses, the top mounted U-brake and that MUCH sought after handlebar stem.

:cool:

Obviously im not talking about the Tushingham B52 prototype that Lester Commissioned Dave yates to build that is displayed on the Tushingham resource thread below. This is a handbuilt pre-production version.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=203977

I am making reference to the Far East Production version Pictured here. As you can see they are the same.

Obviously there were reasons for this model, Namely Shimano and Tushingham sales, Or at least thats the story that was told, i suspect theres a little more too it TBH.

We shall never know.

But regardless, its a rare bike, whether MuddyFox variant or Tushingham.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZHJEMFF)euiT2YBReTUH1tWw~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqZHJEMFF)euiT2YBReTUH1tWw~~60_12.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 646
  • discs_182.jpg
    discs_182.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 645
drcarlos":25rovv7b said:
jaypee":25rovv7b said:
sinnerman":25rovv7b said:

TangeCroMoMTB-1.jpg

Going back and looking at this the more I think it could be one of the oddball transitional or ltd edition bikes (like my '89 Courier Comp with U brake instead of Cantis) that MF seemed to come out with as it appears to have the same frame design as the '89 courier just with different U-brake placement, but the '88 decal design and an Exage Mountain Group, which would have been just a little lower in spec than the Courier Comp that had Mountain LX. The Catalogue spec for the Courier was Suntour/Sugino/Diacompe in the end.

Carl.

Carl.

I see you have edited your post....?

You werent far off..!

Now will someone please buy it, it needs saving but i cant buy anymore, I HAVE NO SPACE.... :oops:

sinnerman":1jgsipq0 said:

TangeCroMoMTB-1.jpg

Carl.

Really......... :roll: You have surprised me TBH.

I would have thought given what it is, (regardless of what Frame tubing it is,) there is no other MuddyFox MORE worth saving... :?

Carl im sure you have heard by now the Story Of Rodger "TUSHINGHAM" and Lester "NOBLE"...and there joint venture with the Mountain bike before Noble left Tushingham and went on his Own and formed what was to become the Dominant force that is Orange Mountain bikes....?

This MuddyFox shares the exact same platform as the "TUSHINGHAM B52".

You wont see many, if any, especially after this many years, But it doesnt have to be top of the range to be regarded as "Special".

If you were to put the two bikes together, other than the branded spec items, you couldnt tell them apart.

It even has the two water bottle bosses, the top mounted U-brake and that MUCH sought after handlebar stem.

You missed my edit ;) (I was nearly complete when your post appeared).
There were a few of these limited editions over the years, a friend had a 1990 limited edition after his Mega 550 was stolen, that had a black zolatone type paint prestige frame I think and DX group (Suntour was still on the steel bikes then too) and wasn't in the 1990 catalogue nice it was too. I'd not seen this one before, it was only the description I had a problem with and could mislead someone, the 1990 prestige range are also very rare beasts. I like these midrange specials (it's a bit like my Raleigh Team) as they were achievable objects of desire back then for me and my friends.

:LOL: , just seen your previous message and it's happened again.

I can't save this one, no room at the inn and all my money is going into our new house for the foreseeable future.

Carl.

Back