Padding up to ride. Anyone doing it?

xizang

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just curious as to how many of you out there wear pads on a regular basis for 'normal' riding.
Is it just knee, knee & elbow or the full body suit?

I've, at last, found a pair of knee pads which fit me. 661 Kyle Straits in XL.
I've tried numerous pads from numerous brands in (supposedly) XL and all were too small.
These will be used from now on.

Anyone else out there padding up? If you do, what are you wearing?

Russell":2ebu7bxd said:
No.

I saw someone riding the HoNC in pads.... And laughed.

If I was riding a cycle path, I wouldn't wear them.
For proper mountains I'd rather ride in them knowing if I have a fall I'll be able to walk properly (personal experience from NOT wearing pads and limping for a fortnight :facepalm: ).

xizang":1hdyhhzz said:
Those D30's look good. I was surprised how low the KS's come down the shin though.

Had them a while now but got them for 35 quid on a Chainreaction offer at the time. Couldn't beat them for that price. They are very similar to the equivalent 661 model and come in the same bag...

Some people I ride with do, I and some others don't. Funnily enough it's the ones who do that seem to injure themselves more.
Maybe they feel more secure wearing pads and so take more risks?

Good question, depends where and how, but getting in the habit of wearing em if not only for the lairy stuff, but as i've got such boney shins and knees I've been lucky when I've not been using them. Knee/shin 661 race here but also got 661 Veggie separates.
Not worn them on retro bikes ever, or roads or paths! :D or XC!

I wear them (mainly elbow pads) if its a technical rocky or fast gravel/rocky descents. I have some Lizard skins pads that are easy to velcro off and on in seconds.
Having had a gashed elbow last year from a big fall at Cannock i am happier wearing them :)

I have an old pair of leg guards but they only get worn going down, too uncomfortable to actually ride in. The main protection is from sticks, rocks and V12s! I look at the gashes and gouges on them and think "there but for the grace of Fox go my shins".

Latest posts

Back