Child dental problem

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My 10 year old, 11 next month, went to the dentist yesterday for an x-ray as a fortnight ago the dentist was concerned a couple of baby teeth had not come out. The x-ray showed that in the position of the two teeth, the ones behind the incisors at the top, there ware no adult teeth present. He has referred her onto an orthodontist he thinks the two baby teeth need removing with the hope that the gaps will fill as she grows older. When my husband was around 7 the dentist took loads of his milk teeth out which caused problems later with his adult teeth. It worries me letting dentists take teeth out, should I go with it or not? Although I'd hate to leave her with big gaps as a 20 year old, she'll probably hate it then.

Alison

Some people even go through their entire life with some of their baby teeth. However in most cases they'll need to be taken good care of.

As for pulling teeth, worst-case scenario you may need to consider prosthetics or implants.
I have a set of prosthetics with a cast metal frame (missing the teeth on either side of my canines), and 99% of the time I don't even realize I'm wearing them.

Unfortunately our dentist will not do any remedial work on the NHS, our other daughter has a twisted front tooth and we asked about braces and he said the surgery would not pay for them on the NHS we'd have to do it privately and it would be highly expensive, she was very disappointed. Our dentist surgery fills teeth on the NHS and takes them out but will not do remedial work :(

Alison

Get another dentist..... sometimes easier said than done, admittedly, but they are out there.

After years of abuse, I am having some pretty serious treatment at the moment.... extractions, crowns etc, and prosthetics to fill voids in the short term prior to being able to have bridges fitted later... and the whole lot has cost me the £200 NHS maximum

G

Your lucky, we have to travel nearly 30 miles to get the only NHS dentist available, we've tried no one is accepting anyone at the moment. I'm very lucky toothwise though, mine are as strong as ox's and have two or three fillings at 46, my mothers gave up the ghost in her early 20's

Alison

Back