Contemplating polishing a Pinarello frame.

Synthesis

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A bit modern for this forum, but this is a dilemma. Should I polish my 2004 Alu. Prince SL frame?, never seen it done before and I think it would look nice. I stripped it for paint and man was there paint, the former owner had it powder coated over the original paint, so there was two coats of paint + primer/filler. before the frame weight was 1680g now it´s 1200g. Would it be sacrilegious you think?

Go for it! if you've already stripped it down to the bare metal then you've nothing to lose. In the worst case it doesn't work well or you don't like it, if that happens you can get it painted again so what's to lose? and post some pics!

Hey Foz. You are right, it can always be painted again but I just did a test polish of a part of the top tube, and it´s gonna look awesome! Just need to do some work on the welds, they are a bit bulky and full of filler.

HI Flemming,

My opinion - find a sand blaster who is convenient to you and then do what you want. If it goes wrong visit the sandblaster. My friend and i discussed this today regarding me trying to paint a frame. Paint costs around £30 and sandblasting around £15. Local car sprayer costs £100 so i can afford to mess up a few times before i have to consider a pro paint job.

Also, as mentioned above, get some pics up,

Richard

On a similar thread here a while back someone noted that aluminum frames should not be bead blasted because the tube walls are too thin and could be damaged. Is sand blasting more gentle? Besides I thin the paint is already off of the frame and now the issue is the polish

Paint is almost of the frame, still need attention at the welds. Bead blasting on aluminium is usually done with glass fragments, but it creates heat and can distort the subject being blasted. The tubes on this frame are as thin as two layers of tin foil ;-) so I´m doing things by hand. As pics. goes, I´ll get some up as soon as I get the rest of the paint off.

Back