GT Zaskar or Pantera ?

legrandefromage":2yom7z2o said:
paddy311":2yom7z2o said:
Good timing that - I've just broken my crank extractors !

You sure those ones in your link will work with a square taper crank BTW ?

This will - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=34314

Mine is getting on for 15 years old.

Thanks LGF - much appreciated.

As a fellow early zaskar owner - I don't suppose you know of any suitable forks for sale do you ? I've had a search in the for sale section here and drawn a blank so far. The Shock Tech ones on mine are totally dead.

I had the original RS MAG21 on mine but have had Judy DH, Reynolds and allsorts over the years. I now have something near to the original rigid GT forks instead.

I dont know the axle to crown measurement but I do remember that it needs to be over a certain length otherwise it feels as if the steering is all buggered up.

legrandefromage":3u287fi6 said:
I had the original RS MAG21 on mine but have had Judy DH, Reynolds and allsorts over the years. I now have something near to the original rigid GT forks instead.

I dont know the axle to crown measurement but I do remember that it needs to be over a certain length otherwise it feels as if the steering is all buggered up.

Ok cheers

T'boo Ted":148nim2g said:
yeah you need an early fork, like a mag 20/21 or manitou 1/2/3 or old marzochhi or something.

Yes - I agree. Ideally I'm after some rs Mag 20 or 21.

I've put a wanted ad up in the other section for some forks.

Been offered some GT 3D rigid forks for £55 + post, but I won't be going there I don't think as they ain't correct for the bike and I think they're too expensive. If I went for a rigid fork it would have to be the proper GT 2x4. Doubt I'll find 2x4's very easy to source, mind............

I wouldnt get too carried away by the idea of suspension forks. Depending on your riding and rider weight, early forks can be very flexi with poor tracking. A decent set of GT's 'rigid' forks are actually quite good at taking out trail buzz and smaller bumps, especially hard dry trails where horses have been in the mud and the sun has dried it.

Cheers LGF.

I'm not necessarily going all out to get sus forks - I'm just trying to be realistic about the likelyhood of finding some GT 2x4's versus easier to find sus forks. I would actually prefer to keep it rigid (oo-er).

Another day, another set of crank extractors broken :roll:

Destroyed one like these bought from my local bike shop today, within 5 minutes of taking them off the packing cardboard.

$(KGrHqMOKn!E2eoyqyCbBNy(n3ZqT!~~_12.JPG

I think I better buy one of those Park ones and stop f****ng around.

coomber":8lbxrlqe said:
Yeah. I agree! Same with bottom bracket tools

I should know better TBH. All my normal tools are snap on, MAC or Britool, and I never baulk at the cost for them. This latest XLC crank extractor was a case of 'available here and now' today, and looked OK-ish. Shame it turned out to be made of cheese. I will be returning it tomorrow ;)

Back