GT Zaskar or Pantera ?

One hell of a polish - indeed :D

It's all XT - the only things that ain't are the headset, brake levers, and one skewer. The forks are Shock Tech but they're goosed unfortunately. There is goo all over a bit of the front wheel where it has leaked out of the fork legs. Also - the mount for the brake booster is cracked.

Trying to weigh up what to do with it now TBH. I'm not working at the mo so could do with the cash so i may well break it up.

NeilM":tpna3jut said:
The forks are Shocktech. I had exactly the same forks on my Zaskar when I built it in 94, mainly because I could not afford a pair of Pace forks.

I would have thought the elastomers had long since turned to goo. If they still work, then just service them the same as you would Pace, or replace them with GT rigid, Pace or whatever takes your fancy.

Just looking over the bike, you have some nice original kit there, Turbo saddle, Zefal bottle cage, Middleburn chain rings(?). That's a real early 90's build.

Cheers - and yes the big and middle rings are Middleburns.

Very chuffed overall. I won't say what I gave for it, but lets just say it wasn't listed on eBay very well & I took a flyer based on one terrible picture.

My Zaskar is a 94; I built it up from a frameset and have changed the brakes, from Magura to XT V's and the forks from Shocktech (which I still have) to the original Marzocchi XC700's.

It is still going strong, and I must dig it out this summer for a play, as I have been spending far too much time (and money) on steel bikes recently.

My advice would be to take your time stripping cleaning and assessing what you have. You have some very desirable components that will rebuild back to a really great looking and riding bike.

It's nice when you get a bargain isn't it. :mrgreen:

Here's mine.
DSC_0148.jpg

IMGP0267.jpg

paddy311":m3fehgyf said:
frame number 04910903

it is a Zaskar; built in april 1991 (0491)

Zaskar frame numbers begins with a number

but Pantera frame numbers begins with a letter (for example H1L00... or H1L01...)

http://www.gt-frames.de/

Zaskars (US made GT frames) - Aluminium 6061

Panteras (Taiwan made GT frames) - Aluminium 7005

Matze010":3o3kp1jl said:
paddy311":3o3kp1jl said:
frame number 04910903

it is a Zaskar; built in april 1991 (0491)

Zaskar frame numbers begins with a number

but Pantera frame numbers begins with a letter (for example H1L00... or H1L01...)

http://www.gt-frames.de/

Zaskars (US made GT frames) - Aluminium 6061

Panteras (Taiwan made GT frames) - Aluminium 7005

That makes perfect sense now - thanks for the very clear reply :)

coomber":2lhn6wzm said:
Looks like a facehugger from the Alien films attached to your seattube

Thankfully I've got the bugger off now :D

Wish I could say the same about the chainset though...... It's really fighting me and my cheapo extractors

Good timing that - I've just broken my crank extractors !

You sure those ones in your link will work with a square taper crank BTW ?

Back