first ride offroad with the clockwork tomorrow

Not sure when mine will be done, not long though. I've got the last couple of bits winging there way to me as we speak; Spoon saddle and some red alloy spoke nipples. :oops: .
Then I just need to get the wheels built up and we're away. :D

If I manage to get my act together I'd like to get some F7 forks for mine and go rigid with this build but like you, I can't make me mind up without trying stuff first. I think the E4 frame might be retired when the Clockwork is done, so if the clockwork was rigid that would leave me with no bikes with any boing. :? (well until the Proflex is done! :roll: :D )

Orange

Got to agree with huntso, always felt they were way too flexy and I'm only light myself. Always felt that they were going to snap in half. Still like the way they look tho :)

Always liked the fact that the frame absorbed alot of the trail, and at the time the only other bikes I tryed properly were a cannondale killer v and a stuntjumper both of which I felt were a bit harsh IMHO.

But akin to most of the punters on here- the reason I love my particular choice of stead is really about all the other stuff happenning around that time in my life (all good it has to be said, oh to be 20 again.......) not really about the riding per say.

However it is a good point that you both make, did the prestige and P7 still have this flexible characteristic?

Orange

The Prestige was lighter and just as whippy if not moreso. But the P7 used larger and heavier tubes to combat this and was seen as an expedition-touring bike for carrying heavy loads, never a race/sport bike. Incidently the later Clockworks used larger stiffer tubes to combat the whippiness. I always preferred the ride of the GT's from the same era as they were vertically compliant but laterally very stiff. The TT design in steel has never been surpassed imho by any frame designer. The larger sizes had steeper angles so were not as good a ride, but the smaller sizes are a dream to ride and never seem to break despite the light weight.

Back