TA Pedal Adjustment... Help!

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
Trying to adjust some old TA Road Pedals. The good news is I have got the notoriously stubborn dust caps off! Once inside, the first nut and washer comes off okay too, but the cone is fully round with no flats. I can't see any trick I'm missing, and it's too tight to do anything delicately with pliers. Am I totally missing something?

Any knowledge of these pedals or ideas very much appreciated. I can try to stick a photo up if nothing springs immediately to anyones mind.

Cheers!

EDIT > Here are the photos.

ta_pedals_1.jpg

ta_pedals_2.jpg

ta_pedals_3.jpg

ta_pedals_4.jpg

ta_pedals_5.jpg

That looks like a 'sealed' type bearing assembly with no adjustment
If so you should be able to push the spindle through and then remove the bearing assembly. There should be numbers on the bearing casing and if not measure the diameter, width and bore sizes and you should be able to find something on the net of the same size

A quick look on Google shows several sites mentioning sealed needle or roller bearings. The bearings in your picture do not look like needle or roller bearings, they look like ball bearings in a cage so it could be that they have been changed at some time and the wrong bearings are now fitted causing play in the spindle

Yes, tight without nut fitted.

I just had a close look. Definitely not going to push anything through!
The bearings look loose to me. They look like roller bearings - more like tiny little wheels rather than balls! If that makes sense!?

I'd read about them before too. Peter White Cycles describes them as...

Specialites TA quill pedals with sealed ball and roller bearings for toe clips and straps. These are the finest traditional pedals made, probably the finest ever made

The spindle is an interference fit into the bearing bore so it will require the use of a block of wood and a sharp hit with a hammer to remove it.

There is no adjustment whether it's ball bearings needle bearings or roller bearings, they either work or they don't and the only cure is new bearings which are not expensive

Aha. Okay. I'll pop to see if I can use the vice at my LBS tomorrow, then give it a whack! (a tender one!) They know their old stuff so I'll be able to get a good close up opinion.

Many thanks, I'll see how it goes and let you know.

Had an Archimedes moment in the bath and remembered an old skateboard tool I have for pushing in bearings, cylindrical thing which has a little alloy end. Sits perfectly on top of the spindle and let me hammer them out just holding it in my hand.

Definitely the original bearings, they are just as described. Needle bearings at the bottom and those shown in the photos are caged roller bearings.

Next issue is how to get the bearings out!

I'll stick a picture up tomorrow in case anyone is interested in inners. Very finely made indeed. And of maybe one of my handy little tool!

Back