1970;s Geoffrey Butler Road Frame

notsofast

Old School Hero
Hi All,

Picked up this Geoffrey Butler frame yesterday

Has come with Campag H/S and front mech and black Dura Ace brakes

It's to join my Emperor Sport

Not sure if Geoffrey Butler made their frames or they were made at Holdsworth or similar.....does anyone know anything about GB..I know the shop is still in Croydon and we used to ride up there for the New Year Sales BITD

here are some pics

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• GB Frame.jpg
    GB Frame.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 2,896
  • GB front forks.jpg
    GB front forks.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 2,895
  • GB seat lug.jpg
    GB seat lug.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2,894
  • GB rear stays.jpg
    GB rear stays.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 2,894
  • GB fork crown.jpg
    GB fork crown.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 2,895
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Geoffrey-Butl ... 7675.l2557

Under BB guides, allen key brakes and cable guides on top of the frame would mark it out to be a bit later IMHO, long dropouts though at the rear. Nicely made looking at the lugs and seat cluster, has a touch of Mercian about it :)

Shaun

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi Shaun,

Yep that was the eBay one! :)

The guides on the BB are a plastic clip that is pushed in

Haven't found a frame number yet ...maybe under some think paint somewhere

It does seem to be made nicely though

Cheers

Mike

Yes Shaun,

the person I bought it from said he got it from a friend who had it repainted

I think I'll contact him and see if i can get any other details

Thanks for the interest

Cheers

Mike

I remember when the England Track team trotted out with their new Geoffrey Butler bikes.............1978 I think it was :D

Shaun

So an update on this...if you're interested.....

Looking at the frame and rubbing the rust off the drop outs it revealed the frame had Campag ends too

I then decided this was probably a decent bike back when it was new so then went on to source as many quality parts as possible from eBay and also from other members of this 'ere RB site

I've managed to get

Brake Levers - Campag Gran Sport
Bars - Cinelli
Stem - 3T
Seat Post - SR Laparde
Saddle - Selle Mote Grappa (new but a retro look plus it's black with white stitching which will go with the proposed new paint job)
Brakes - Campag (not sure what model)
Rear Mech - Nuovo Record
Chainset - Nuovo Record
Gear Levers - Nuovo record
Pedals - Kyokuto liteweight quill
Hubs and Rims - Campag Record and Weimann Rims

Still need to get a Nuovo Record front mech and the cables for brake and gears, tyres and chain

The plan for the colour is to get teh forks fully chromed and the frame black enamel with the white decals from H Lloyds

White bar tape and some black brake hoods (if I can get enough money together to buy some of those :LOL: )

So far by selling off old stuff I don't want any more it's really cost me a bit of actual money and then a spare wheel from an MG, two stopwatches and an old Scalextric car (amazing what eBay can do innit?!)

Anyway I loosley mocked the bike up earlier today and here are a few pics

Attachments

• wheelmech.jpg
    wheelmech.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 2,712
  • brakes.jpg
    brakes.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 2,712
  • chainset.jpg
    chainset.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 2,712
  • glevers.jpg
    glevers.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 2,712
  • saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 2,712
  • mock 1.jpg
    mock 1.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 2,712
  • mock2.jpg
    mock2.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 2,712
Those brakes are 90s Mirage but I'd look for a proper set of Nuovo Record or Gran Sport with the 52 mm reach. I like the look of the half stepped chain rings although at 45 teeth not a lot of top end. Looks finely made particularly the seatstay caps

Steven

That is coming together nicely :)

Back enamel and chrome forks should look superb, I love that saddle as well. Just off to google how much they knock them out for, I won't hold my breath :)

Back