Raleigh Rapide 1983 - Project Old-man - epilogue (P6)

Re: Raleigh Rapide 1983 - Project Old-man - complete! (P4)

TGR":278jbktu said:
A race?

Richard

Defo not a race more a stretch of the machine and his owner with Jnr on his blinged up cruiser (the A'ha, see the link in my signiture). Secretly he must be a Klein lover because he doesn't want to get it dirty ;-) To be fair the weather has been shite. We met last weekend and booked in the July weekend for a proper good ride from Winchester to Reading and back using a newly opened route (according to Dad). I hope his legs are up for it and I can cope on a single speed lol

al,

Sounds like a super idea, make the most of your Dad while he is still around!!! Pics will obviously be expected. Fingers crossed you get good weather.

Richard

Great thread. Makes me wish I'd salvaged my granddad's Raleigh racer before my dad threw it out.

:) The countdown is on to the old man vs 30 something man retrobike clash...

HI Al,

Interesting competition - COME ON THE OLDIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard

Well he's got 12 gears I've got 1 so advantage Snr al-onestare ;-)

Miles in legs - not gears, will win!!! Experience counts.

Speak to Eurosport - they might put highlights on late at night!!!

Guess what - on a bike front - i left my rims and hubs to the builder today and i will get them next week if things go to plan. He was shocked to see the polished items and asked me if they were new ones i had bought!! I told him, "No, they are the same ones after 3 days work" - and it was 3 complete days - might buy new next time but that is not the point for the Rapide.

Good luck in the race,

Richard

So then, the weekend ride has almost arrived. Looks like we're going on route #23 starting at Winchester to go over the viaduct before heading to Basingstoke then Reading. Please bare in mind my old man hasn't ridden for quite a while. I think 23 miles is more than enough bless him! I purposely got my cruiser to ride with him on this, to stop me wizzing off into the distance (that's what I tell myself anyway).

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... 8360004889

The weather looks like it's going to be decent so we'll take it nice and easy - plenty of opportunities for essential beverage and man-food stops. I'll try and get some shots of the Rapide and the happy owner :D

Great thread. You should be really proud. Just restoring my father in law's Armstrong. Looking forward to the pictures of your old man and project old man in action. Best regards THM

So one sunny Saturday in July down in Hampshire (what, really? A sunny day in July? In England? Shirely some mistake) a 30-something boy hooked up with his 60-something Dad to re-create some old skool pottering around on bike scenes. For someone who hadn't ridden an iron horse for 13 years, he did extremely well considering it was proper hot. More critically it confirmed that whilst they may look stupid, lycra padded shorts are essential! Let's just say he'll be getting a pair or two for his birthday in the autumn :LOL: (Along with a helmet as well).

Naturally I had to acquire a bike that would try and keep me from zooming off (that was my excuse and I'm sticking to it) and the cruiser was perfect. That said, the Rapide stole the show. I'm pleased that she didn't fall apart so my mechanical skillz were ok in the end. The pearl finish looked super in the sun as did the polished Campy parts. Even the shoddy brakes worked (his words not mine!).

Route wise it was simple but extremley enjoyable. We hopped on the train to Winchester and cruised on over to the big old viaduct on route 23. After a quick scoot back and forth, we followed the route through Winchester and out the other side for 2 "climbs". It wasn't long, only 5-6 miles each way but we took it very easy, chatting about life and the universe. Just perfect! A well deserved cheeky one was had back in the "city" as we admired the horses :mrgreen:

thg2.jpg

xa0v.jpg

tygf.jpg

Oi! Come back! (Does my bum look big in this?)

7q9o.jpg

u6px.jpg

xqgn.jpg

fmuq.jpg

gjbr.jpg

yqz7.jpg

dc7v.jpg

I think that's cheating Dad!

nm0q.jpg

fbxu.jpg

This was by far my favourite RB project. I highly recommend it to anyone so if your Mum or Dad has an old machine tucked away somewhere why not dust it off for her / him as a surprise and get them back in the saddle for some silly business.

Back