Falling off

greenstiles":1f2radzt said:
i hate riding on tow paths

it is a concern, especailly with clipless pedals and a worry in case you cannot unclip when in the water :shock:

02gf74":d1pf5a7b said:
it is a concern, especailly with clipless pedals and a worry in case you cannot unclip when in the water :shock:
If this is the case then! You will become the first ''Pedal Steamer'' :LOL:

I'll get my coat.................

Raging_Bulls":2ylpcpnw said:
Here's the solution. And it's a proper retro set as well.

Are they tub or clincher? ;)

David

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Guitar106Music":1t53ut00 said:
Cheers widowmaker, bike seems OK, gear changes are a bit iffy, I might strip the rear mech tonight and have a play.
Tow paths are better than the pyscho road users on my commute into Birmingham, although 3 punctures and 1 crash in 10 days is a bit annoying.
Glad you didnt end up in the drink ;) ive been doing a few miles on the tow paths around Brum over the least few weeks and im realy amazed at the s***e condition of some sections, even the odd section close to the city centre :roll:
Seems a real missed opportunity to give bikes a safe passage into the city centre :?: and then theres the odd 1/4 out in the middle of no where thats a good stone surface thats in better condition than most roads :LOL:
Mick :D

Mick, tell me about it!

Their are some sections that are terrible. I wrote an email to the Canal Trust about it, and they were really prompt in getting back to me. The problem they have is funding, they are trying to get a grant from the local authority and sustrans, but I won't be holding my breath!

The ironic thing is that the section that I came a cropper on is one of the best bits of my ride in.

Which canal do you take, I ride the Grand Union into Brum from Solihull.

Stu

I'm glad your ok too but my first thoughts are how fast were you going to land 15-20ft away? I'll always crawl at near walking pace past pedestrians just because they are unpredictable!

To be honest probably a bit too fast, maybe about 12mph or so, I see the guy most mornings and he does get out of the way, so I was probably going a bit quicker than I would normally. I think it was the theatrical wipe out that sent me further up the tow path, it wasn't a straight falling off, more a right, left, sh*t I'm not going to hold this type of scenario.

Strange thing is, I went past the same guy this morning, and he didn't even give me the nod, almost as if it had never happened. I said a cheery morning as I passed.

many years ago i was riding along a canal toe path.
and there were anglers dotted along the stretch i was riding along.
amazingly one of the anglers managed to hook my glasses while casting off.
and they even managed to get them in the canal.
don't have this problem since my laser eye surgery.

Guitar106Music":1rn1dec7 said:
Mick, tell me about it!

Their are some sections that are terrible. I wrote an email to the Canal Trust about it, and they were really prompt in getting back to me. The problem they have is funding, they are trying to get a grant from the local authority and sustrans, but I won't be holding my breath!

The ironic thing is that the section that I came a cropper on is one of the best bits of my ride in.

Which canal do you take, I ride the Grand Union into Brum from Solihull.

Stu
Same section solihull into the city, although im just doing it for the run out ;) have been the other direction a few times, nice to get out into the country side away from the traffic etc had a good run down to Lemington Spa the other week with a stop for cake at Hatton locks on the way back :D
yes it would be great if they could get some more cash to upgrade the realy rough sections .....one day ...maybe !!

Mick :D

The locks at Hatton are really nice, didn't realise there was a cake shop there :(

I've done the full loop into Birmingham, and then back out through Edgbaston, Maypole, Dickens Heath, Hatton, and back through Knowle.

There are some pretty muddy paths along the way, but it is a good ride, probably 30+ miles.

Some of the best bits are on the way out towards Bourville, really good surface and fast. I sometimes take this route back and join the roads at Maypole Lane.
Stu

Latest posts

Back