1959 Holdsworth Hurricane

The stem is not a cheap modern item... 38 years old? Look carefully at my avatar and there is the black stem.

I was looking for black kit when I sold my soul in 1975 ish to get a brand new set of Black 1st gen shimano brakes.

I bought mine from a rep (not cheap) as there wasn't many black stems on the market, Mine is unbranded and was touted as an "experiment" probably by Nitto as it has the traditional Nitto clamping style of an allen bolt but with a triangular nut at the back with a small step in it. Strange though as Nitto stems tended to have a wedge and mine has a quill / expander arrangement.

I never saw another and have posted on here in the past but nothing like it cropped up.

25kr42o.jpg

Nice to see my stem has a sibling LOL

Shaun

Fancy that!

Just popped mine out and it is indeed black below the insertion point; it also has an expander.

No markings on it apart from "pat. pend." on the triangular nut.

I suppose the fact it has a metric bolt head supports the theory it is from the Far East.

SNAP!

Interesting bike. The spec on your brochure states a C34 chainset but I think the one you have is a C45? This had the triangular rings.

It's the method that the rings use to fit to the crank spider.....just have to think now, depends on reducing the force on the bolts to stop them shearing.

If you are getting rid of the stem think of me :D

Shaun

Thanks Shaun.

I'm on the lookout for a B15 Swallow and a suitable stem. The Il Primo look to be as rare as hen's teeth, so something like a spearpoint GB would do.

Anything to trade?

No saddle I'm afraid, My era is Plastic covered with leather / nubuck and the like :D

Might have an old stem hanging around, will have a look after picking up the daughter from the stables / horse.

Cheers

Shaun

The C45 had sleeve bolts, C34 had the ancient square headed things.
Is this an early Holdsworthy Company bike?
Il Primo was a cheap Holdworthy production stem in various lengths. Mostly just over £1, and very heavy soft iron, we used loads on cheap bikes, the Cinelli steel was £1.50 at the time.

Thanks Keith.

The seat tube transfer says "Worthy" at the top: I was just going by what the catalogue says.

Think I'll probably get a GB stem being as they are GB bars, the bike seems to have a number of variations from the standard spec, so it would be in keeping.

Latest posts

Back