Food shopping in Aldi

I don't have an Aldi close by but have the choice of two Lidls. I do most of my basic shopping in there and impulse stuff in the Sainsbury's next door to me. Try to resist Sainsbury's, it's fncking extortionate in comparison, crisps are 4x as expensive ffs.

AFAIK both German outfits follow the same basic philosophy. No frills, anywhere. I went to an interview at Lidl's head office once and it was a shithouse.

I don't do meat from Lidl, they might be cheap but they won't haggle so one of the local halal butchers gets that business. "Pff, £3.50? Rizwan down the road was £2.90 last week"

"OK, £3 to you". :)

The History Man":2w3sda8s said:
The great thing about Sainsburys? It keeps the scum out of Waitrose. (Stephen Fry)
Stephen Fry said that? I can't believe he referred to riff-raff as scum.
I know what he means though. Sainsburys is an unpleasant experience and no cheaper than Waitrose. If you want cheap, LIDL do cheap, and have stollen!

Lidl ftw! Been shopping there for years, good food and good prices - sure they don't have masses of choice, but for everyday stuff it's bang on.
Paint on my alien came from Lidl.

LIDL are the dog's!

My niece works there, so we do pop in now and then. Great beer, and good biscuits.

Stock almost identical to ALDI, most from the same suppliers.

'Nuff said, excellent!

:)

Went in Aldi today it's all moved round hmmmm my march in grab an go tactic failed still got vitals, beer steak chicken spuds just took longer with a hangover to, no lidl's in walking distance so can't compare

I hate it when they swap everything around.

Perhaps the answer is to have a list, and insist one of the staff guide you to everything.

highlandsflyer":6df432md said:
LIDL are the dog's!

My niece works there, so we do pop in now and then. Great beer, and good biscuits.

Stock almost identical to ALDI, most from the same suppliers.

'Nuff said, excellent!

:)

I've shopped in both - not much in it value-wise but Aldi just seems to shade it in terms of variety.

David

suburbanreuben":gzag3e3f said:
The History Man":gzag3e3f said:
The great thing about Sainsburys? It keeps the scum out of Waitrose. (Stephen Fry)
Stephen Fry said that? I can't believe he referred to riff-raff as scum.
I know what he means though. Sainsburys is an unpleasant experience and no cheaper than Waitrose. If you want cheap, LIDL do cheap, and have stollen!

If you want an unpleasant supermarket experience, go to the big Asda in Southampton near the West Quay centre. Cheap, loads of variety, but always seems to be complete bedlam in there.

David

Back