Pinarello Montello SLX - More Pics

Re: Pinarello Montello SLX - Updated

Montello":23l684kq said:
Looks fantastic. What is the dot near the o on the down tube?

Which decal did you choose for the top of the down tube?

Had to be down tube shifters and pedals with clips.

The little dot is a copyright (c) that formed part of the decal set. I have seen a few Pinarellos with them on but it may not be original (and in hindsight probably should have instructed Argos to snip it off :oops:) I couldn't tell if it had it originally as the decals had mostly disintegrated when I received the frame! It's an 84 down tube decal, the same as the original. This has perplexed me as I'm sure my detective work had it down as a very late 80s frame so I was expecting an 88 decal. However, I just copied the original.

I'm probably a definite on down tube shifters, but still toying with clipless ;)

The range of decals is shown at the bottom of this page.

http://www.lejog4amr.co.uk/pinarello/montellos.shtml

If you have any new info for my site please let me know.

As far as the range and chronology of decal options used by pinarello goes seems very random to me with regards head tube variations etc. I think the chopped and changed making dating frames impossible.

Montello":30z438j4 said:
The range of decals is shown at the bottom of this page.

http://www.lejog4amr.co.uk/pinarello/montellos.shtml

If you have any new info for my site please let me know.

As far as the range and chronology of decal options used by pinarello goes seems very random to me with regards head tube variations etc. I think the chopped and changed making dating frames impossible.

Exactly, the reproduction decals I bought only mirror what the frame originally had. This frame has 130 rear spacing, Pinarello branded drop outs and fully chomed rear stays that would indicatate it being an 88-90 era frame but it doesnt explain the 82 down tube decal!

I think your dating is correct, I think they just used what ever was to hand that day ... Gotta love the Italians.

I have collated what I know about Montello head tube decals into a graphic ... but as I have said they seemed to chop & change.

I have seen original 90s versions with the rivited on head tube old style badge.

I suspect the IOC started clamping down on the use of the Olympic rings (or variations of) in the early 90s ... .

head-tube-badges.jpg

Here are the range of down tube options, again seemingly randomly used by Pinarello

downtube-decal-history.jpg

LDP the frame looks amazing . Do you have any pictures of it built up?

Funny, I had just found a picture of this Concorde frame in a very similar colour and thought it would look great on the asolo I'm about to build! Didn't realise it was I the pina catologue. Is there a scan of the catalogue on this website?

How did you find Argos to deal with? Was there a long waiting time ? Perhaps you could pm me with how much it all cost? I would be lookin for the same type of paint job, pin striping and decals ( I have a set of decals that came with the bike but not sure of the quality or where they came from) .

Thanks

Peter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 750

Tamandua - Post replied to by PM

I have updated the photo link with some pics of the Montello fully built. I apologise now for the crap iPhone pics, I was just too excited now it's finished. However, it's not quite complete as I need a nicer XA stem and some vittoria amber walls (the continentals are period correct, but I just dont think are right for this build). Full spec to follow in my next post, pic link here again: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9 ... HpN8W6t68U

Re: Pinarello Montello SLX - Finished (almost....)

Frame: Pinarello Montello SLX

Fork: Pinarello

Headset: Campagnolo C Record
Stem: Cinelli XA 110mm
Handlebar: Cinelli Giro d'Italia 42
Bar Tape: Cinelli Cork

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campagnalo C Record
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo C Reord Delta
Brake Pads: Campagnolo C Record
Brake Cables: ?

Shifters: Campagnolo C Record (Syncro 2?)
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo C Record
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo C Record
Derailleur Cables: ?
Cassette: Campagnolo Record 8 sp 12-23
Chain: Sedis Silver
Cranks: Campagnolo C Record
Chainrings: Campagnolo 39/53
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo C Record
Pedals: Campagnolo SGR

Rims: Campagnolo Omega V
Hubs: Campagnolo C Record
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo Chorus (looking for some C Record ones)
Nipples: ?
Spokes: DT DB
Tyres: Continental 4 Season 23c
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Selle San Marco Rolls
Seatpost: Campagnolo Chorus (looking for a C Record one)
Seatpost Binder: Campagnolo

Back