Pedals - numerous queries

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Morning all,

Could someone direct me to a guide to road pedals please. The issues i am having are -

1. I have Look Keo Classic (i think) pedals on my new bike and cleats to match, i have older sets of Look pedals - will the new cleats work with them?
2. I have a pair of Shimano pedals - no idea of model number but they are road, what cleats are required for them?
3. I also have a set of Miche pedals - to attach to a Miche crankset - do i require Miche cleats for these?
4. Are cleats interchangeable between pedals?
5. Is it possible that some cleats may work with some pedals and this can be found by trail and error?

Pedals used to be such simple things, it seems that in recent years this is not the case.

A final query - how do you remove your feet from Tri-colour pedals easily? The plates seem to locate at the front of the pedals with 'wings' or tabs and then lock on the rear of the pedal as normal - once in they are incredibly difficult to get out of - am i doing something worng?

Thanks all, it appears that the good weather may only have been in Norn Iron this weekend and typically i am working!!!

Richard

Hello Richard

I don't think you can use the KEO cleats on older Look pedals but i could be wrong. The good news is that Look delta cleats were fairly standard for a long while and so you can use the same shoes for the early pp76 pedals and for later models like the pp96 and pp166. There are two Lok cleats available the ARC (red) which has float and the black which does not.

The Shimano pedal could be compatible with your look system if it is the early 7401 or 6401 that appears very similar to the Look. The late 90s Shimano pedals are sod compatible which means you could use the same shoes as a sod mountain bike. While on the subject of SPD they were very popular cleate and so many pedal makers co-oped the design but be careful because even though you can click in you may have trouble clipping out....

Did you have another question? ......Oh yeah why are all of theses different cleats so annoying? ...Its Lance Armstrong's fault.

Steven

Hey Steven,

Thanks for that - effectively, from what you are saying, i should buy pedals with cleats and the there will be no confusion. Obviously my next pedal related post will relate to 'how do i remove a XXX cleat from an XXX pedal'.

I have a variety of pedals - various Look Arc (i think), the Miche (as mentioned) and a few odd Shimano ones - in the absence of model numbers, will i end up posting pics of the pedals to try and match cleats?

I am pretty sure i have a set of Look Arc cleats, obviously i have Look Keo, i need Miche ones (if anyone could oblige) and i am waiting on Shimano cleats to arrive in the post - these i will have to match with pedals.

On a final point -
What cleats are required for Dura Ace pedals PD 7401 - these are clipless
What plated are required for Dura Ace pedals PD 7400 - these are not clipless

Thanks again,

Richard

Richard, the look keo design came out nearly 10 years ago I think. The majority of clipless pedals previous to that used either the look delta or shimano spd standards, but there have been others (Time, for example). if you could post photos then that would help to determine what cleats you need for each pedal. Look keo and delta are not compatible (but do use the same 3 bolt pattern so can both be attached to the same shoes)

Look ARC use delta cleats, as do the shimano dura ace 7401. The miche probably do too. If you need delta cleats then they're usually available at Decathlon stores for not too much money. I have no idea on pedals and cleats that aren't clipless though :oops:

hope this helps!

Here you go - as far as know anyway!

1. I have Look Keo Classic (i think) pedals on my new bike and cleats to match, i have older sets of Look pedals - will the new cleats work with them? NO
2. I have a pair of Shimano pedals - no idea of model number but they are road, what cleats are required for them? NEED PHOTO TO SEE WHICH MODEL THEY ARE
3. I also have a set of Miche pedals - to attach to a Miche crankset - do i require Miche cleats for these? AGAIN NEED PHOTO TO CHECK ON THE DESIGN. THEY MAY BE A LOOK CLONE.
4. Are cleats interchangeable between pedals? NOT NECESSARILY. SOME DO, SOME DON'T! (SORRY!)
5. Is it possible that some cleats may work with some pedals and this can be found by trail and error? BE IT ON YOUR OWN HEAD - LITERALLY - IF THEY DON'T AND JAM UP ON YOU. SOME WELLGO PEDALS WORK WITH SPD CLEATS FOR EXAMPLE, OTHERS (EARLIER ONES MAINLY) DON'T.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to put me right if I'm not correct. I often am you know :oops:

If you have a lot of bikes you ride clipless then it might be easier to get one pair of shoes and use the same system, even if it's not period correct. Shimano SPD are cheap and cheerful :)

Shaun

Back