What to do and see in Shropshire?

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
That isnt bike related - I'm taking my missus there for a couple of days, and just wonder what else is there to see and do, other than a couple of NT houses I might take her to and also Blists hill.

If you're going to Blists Hill, may as well have a butcher's at that famous bridge too. Further afield, Shrewsbury is an excellent market town with interesting buildings including the castle and abbey, good shopping (including 2 huge independent bike shops near the town centre!!), some pleasant traffic-free riverside walks and plenty of eating-out opportunities. If you're after more history, going in the opposite direction towards Wolverhampton and only just in Shropshire, there's Boscobel House and the oak tree in which King Charles II hid - down the road is the village of Bishops Wood where the local pub may well be the first to have used the name "Royal Oak" as a result!

David

Ludlow is lovely too.......proper unspoilt medieval town centre, castle and great bars/eateries!....

Shrewsbury and Ironbridge are lovely but from my limited experience all of that part of the world feels instinctively "Right".

Oops - nearly forgot Bridgnorth even though it was a regular childhood haunt. Effectively two towns for the price of one, and particularly worth a look if you like trains (northern end of the preserved Severn Valley line as well as being the home of England's only inland cliff railway). Plus the ruined castle has a lean that makes Pisa's tower look a bit pedestrian!

David

feetabix":3t6rnh75 said:
Ludlow is lovely too.......proper unspoilt medieval town centre, castle and great bars/eateries!....

+1

and +1 to what everyone else has said including futuristicoldman who I'm sure wouldn't lie about his great aunt.

Hope the weather is good for you. Take a look at some of the pics on the Long Mynd Aftermath thread for the scenery. Stokesay Castle well worth a visit and a general ramble round the border villages like Clun should find you a few good pubs, not the least of which is The Bridges next to Ratlinghope.

rc200ti":es9iisu1 said:
Stokesay Castle well worth a visit

Nearly forgot that one, well recommended though and you could probably squeeze that and Ludlow into a single day.

David

Sheep, cows and local farm cider as I recall - spent 4 weeks geological mapping various parts of the county eons ago :D

Back