Moving house with cats

butter their paws. it stops them trying to find "home". My sister was adopted by a moggie for a while. He had a scan while at the vet and was discovered to be AWOL from Lancashire, trying to get to Cornwall, via Surrey...

Good advice fellas (Mostly lol)

The cats have never been in a cattery as we have friends who feed them when we are away, so a spell in meow-schwitz will probably do more harm than good :(

Also, apart from when we picked them up as Kittens, they have not been in a carrier longer than 5 mins as the vets are just around the corner.

Did some reading about the Felliway stuff, going to try that.

Thanks again.

Feliway is very good for keeping them calm. (use it on our ones all the time!) you cna get pump aerosols plus plug ins (good before and after the move)

A large carrier helps though if you can borrow a dog crate then thats better - put in a litter tray and it can help prevent accidents. Covering it as said can help especially if they are not used to journeys.

if they have never been to a cattery then it can be more harm than good now

When you get them to your new gaff put them in one room with food and water and a liter tray - make sure they know where all 3 are so they get to know it (i.e paw into the litter tray so they don't get confused and piddle all over the bed) and keep them there for a few hours /overnight. Put their favorite toys and some familiar furniture

Then obviously keep them in for a period of time (6 weeks but it depends on your cats) go mad with the attention/humin slavery and feeding treating them to keep the sweet/happy (obviously don't give them a 4lb fresh salmon every meal..)

Quote:
Moving house with cats

Use a van, cats really cant carry that much. I am surprised nobody has pointed this out to you.

Funny as f*ck that. You owe me a new keyboard now. This one is covered in coffee. :LOL: :LOL:

suburbanreuben":k92uc2ei said:
butter their paws. it stops them trying to find "home". My sister was adopted by a moggie for a while. He had a scan while at the vet and was discovered to be AWOL from Lancashire, trying to get to Cornwall, via Surrey...

I've heard about buttering paws before and I don't understand it at all. What's the theory behind it?

BobToo":hajn9q9q said:
suburbanreuben":hajn9q9q said:

I've heard about buttering paws before and I don't understand it at all. What's the theory behind it?

Yeah, what's that all about?

If someone buttered my paws, I'd be over the hill, never to return....

I JFGI'd it after I posted. There seem to be two theories, both involving washing it off. The first is that the cat will pick up dirt from its new home and cleaning it off will make it somehow in tune with the new area, the other is that the cat will become accustomed to the new place in the time it takes to clean the butter off.

Back