Sorry, last minute advise please on a common subject

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
What to look for when I go and see this car tomorrow, it's an 07 plate Mondeo estate.

I know someone suggested looking at what tyres it had to see if the last owner spared no expense, but other than, has it been stolen or crashed I'm not sure what to ask or look for, it is a trade sale.

Any advise gratefully received :D

Take someone with you (even if you know cars) my wife usually picks up on things that i dont and vice versa :D

Check panel damage, in the boot etc, doors that fit well.

Things that will cost the most to fix, gearbox, engine etc. Fluid etc. How does the car feel to drive, fsh ?

Dont be rushed too ;)

Always walk away there are others for sale and no car is the bargain it seems.

Google a buyers guide. Ask on an enthusiasts site for anything model particular. Don't be afraid of asking silly questions. 60 miles is a long way to go to see a mondeo! If it is cheap enough to make you travel that far, try to work out why it is that cheap!

Assume a Mk4? Plenty of advice I can give on a Mk3, esp in diesel....

John":1x3ymday said:
Assume a Mk4? Plenty of advice I can give on a Mk3, esp in diesel....
I think it's still a mk 3 so anything will be useful like are they chain or belt driven?

To the last person it has a warranty and 7 days free insurance which will be useful if we have to bring both cars back

Alison

Isaac_AG":122pp6rv said:
, it is a trade sale.

:D

Do you mean it's being sold by a trader, or is the trader specifically describing it as a "trade sale"?
If the latter, don't expect a warranty. I'm not sure what the legal position is on "trade sales", but they're usually offered cheap due to faults known or likely...

Check the service history and verify the mileage via old MOT certificates.
ASk questions! Dealers don't offer information unless you ask.

suburbanreuben":3e10lpda said:
Isaac_AG":3e10lpda said:
, it is a trade sale.

Do you mean it's being sold by a trader, or is the trader specifically describing it as a "trade sale"?
If the latter, don't expect a warranty. I'm not sure what the legal position is on "trade sales", but they're usually offered cheap due to faults known or likely...
I don't quite understand what you mean as far as I know it is someone who sells and fixes cars from £14,000 to £750 sorry that's the other way round that's offerin warrenty and insurance I just hope it's a good one.

Alison

What ever you do, get a hpi check, including a mileage discrepancy check, Clocked cars regardless of digital speedos are an epidemic in the uk, due to a shortage of availiable "Quality" Genuine cars being PX for new, (im talking shortage at the 4 to 8k price points). Carbodywork seats steering wheels all get painted to hide mileages and the robbing bastards can earn thousands doing it too.

Cambelt and tensioner, check when it was done and confirm it, or budget for it yourself, unless of course its a camchain.

Check clutch and flywheel, when/if it was done, otherwise it will be a grand inc labour.

Check it runs smoothly with no issues misses or what sounds like knocks and low revs, injectors wont be cheap. Check the normal stuff, diesel leakoff pipes etc.

Forget the rac or aa, they will safe guard themselves more than you, and go too far with a description and you will be too scared to buy anything and just line there pockets, if you can, see a local garage, and bung them £100.00 it will be the best money you can spend.

Isaac_AG":xfehllp4 said:
suburbanreuben":xfehllp4 said:
Isaac_AG":xfehllp4 said:
, it is a trade sale.

I don't quite understand what you mean as far as I know it is someone who sells and fixes cars from £14,000 to £750 sorry that's the other way round that's offerin warrenty and insurance I just hope it's a good one.

Alison
The seller is a trader. Does he anywhere in the advert describe it as a "Trade Sale"? If so, it's an unknown quantity. He doesn't trust it and it isn't worth his while to offer it to the public with the statutory warranty so he knocks down the price on the understanding that there is no warranty.
Ask about any warranty. I believe your statutory rights give yo 6 months, but others might know better.

Back