some advice pleaseeee

There are a few ways, depending on how much you have been paid to send the bike and its value.

Best way i have is cover the frame in pipe lagging taped in place, support the drop-outs and cover in a layer of thick carboard and then put into a larger box :D

Then pray that the delivery people are a concientious as you are :(

danie1":3i8i7bzp said:
Ok thanks its a single speed bike. Would it be best taking both wheels off aswell?

I am not 100% sure of the best way but i left them on when i last sent a complete bike recently :?

And dont mark it fragile - those parcels normally get a good kicking :D

danie1":3lbyb6z8 said:
Ok thanks. Where did u get a box that big? And how much did it cost you?

The box was from my local bike shop, do you mean the cost of the box or the sending ? :D

danie1":18g4l0uz said:
Erm both lol.
Looks like will be going to a local bike shop

If depends how friendly the bike shop is, you can normally get one for free :D

Companies like Hermes etc charge around £10-£15 i would have thought

danie1":2yfhs716 said:
Ok thanks its a single speed bike.

Well in that case, it deserves extra special care.... :cool:

Get a suitable bike box from a bike shop then -

Leave the rear wheel in the frame, take the pedals off, remove the front wheel and slacken off the stem to allow the bars to turn in line with the frame (ie through 90 degrees) Remove saddle and post.

Put a spacer between the fork dropouts (either the plastic ones - blag one from your bike shop when you get the box) or a piece of wood cut to 100mm and taped in place.

Cover frame tubes in pipe insulation and/or bubble wrap, paying special attention to the head tube, BB shell and fork dropouts. Put extra padding in the form of cardboard around these when you fit the bike in the box.

Wrap and pad all the extra stuff (front wheel, pedals, saddle and post) and fit these in the box, front wheel alongside the frame with extra cardboard over the ends of the spindle (remove the skewer). Make sure that all the loose items can't move around if the box is turned upside down so tape them either to the box or to the frame. Add as much bubble wrap, cardboard or polystyrene as you feel is necessary.

If the box you get is bigger than you need, then modify it to fit more snugly.
Tape everything up really well but leave the handling holes clear - if the box is easy to handle it's less likely to get abused.
Write "DO NOT LAY FLAT" in big black marker pen on both sides.

Print out an address label (make it big and clear) and tape it to the box with clear tape right over the whole label. Do another with the senders details.

Insure it adequately ;)

Back