Pace RC35 MXC(D) fork maintenance?

zonoskar

Retro Guru
I recently bought a vintage Pace RC35 fork. I have lots of questions about it :) I hope someone here will be able to answer them.

- I'm not sure if it is the MXC, or MXCD version (no decals left), how to find out? I found the page @Pace but apart from the travel, there seems to be no difference between the models.

- It also has the optional oil damper and it needs maintenance since there is no oil in it. But I cannot find a manual that describes the oil damper. I found this manual, but it seems to be for the plain vanilla Pace RC35. How much oil does it need and what viscosity? Would Fox oil be ok, or do I need special Pace oil?

- There is a lever on top of the damper which is seized when I assemble the forks, but moves freely when disassembled, which is also a little weird. How to fix?

- The stanchions seem to have a lot of stiction. What grease to use? Would Judy butter be ok?

- I also would like to buy the cantilever rocker assembly, but it is out of stock @Pace. I searched ebay and here, but didn't find it.

- And finally, there is a mark on one of the carbon legs, it looks like the clearcoat is cracked. This probably means the carbon is cracked too. I knew this when I bought the forks, but can it be repaired? I tried contacting a Dutch firm that specializes in carbon repair, but they are closed for holidays until end of the month.

Here's some pictures:
2013_04_25_19_52_19_ProShot_sm.jpg

2013_04_25_19_51_53_ProShot_sm.jpg

On the bike:
2013_04_26_08_26_44_ProShot20130426092214.jpg

Mine also need mine rebuilding Tim on here is your man justbackdated

Dave

edited to erase pic/wrong info

Second recommendation for Tom, he's class, a quick check on Neill's site (goat surfer) may reveal the model, but contact Tim and he'll be able to sort you out, and with a canti rocker too :)

Nice bike by the way!!

I ended up filling the damper cartridge to the brim with 7.5W fork oil. No noticeable amount of damping though and the knob at the top doesn't do much. Maybe I should contact this Tom guy :)

I've got a bottle of the correct oil and I'm pretty sure I've got the instructions for the fork too, I can copy them. Pm me and remind me because I'm useless !

The rockers do come up, set a search up on ebay. There was one a couple of weeks ago.

And Mxc was the short travel one with ti bolts and a narrower crown.
Mxcd the cross country one
Mxd the long travel down hill one that came with the cartridge.

It was an optional extra on the others so might have been added in.

I can photocopy the catalogue too if you like.

Failing that Tim is ace.

Oh and check the bridges for cracks near the bolts, I've had one go on me - Tim has spare braces.

Back