Argghhh!! The Polish panto butcher has bought a DRILL

That is a fantastic pic, it is great to see how people worked after the war. I am not being sexist at all but could you imagine seeing that now? My mother ploughed fields after the war when she was young but unfortunately i don;t think there are any pics. I must ask her if any exist.

On the CNC topic, would it be possible to get an engineer to panto a stem on a CNC machine? If so, if it difficult and costly?

Richard

Anything is possible with CNC, our 5 axis machines could make the entire stem in one set up with a list of Eddy's victorys engraved on the side! But , yes it is very expensive.

I will have to investigate if there are any local CNC machines. The expression 'very expensive' scares me a bit but the panto would not be as complicated as Eddy's victorys!!

Thanks very much for the info, this is a topic of much discussion with certain Mr Raleigh.

Richard

TGR":ym5u9ash said:
On the CNC topic, would it be possible to get an engineer to panto a stem on a CNC machine? If so, if it difficult and costly?

Richard

It would be more difficult than making one from scratch.

The stem would need to be accurately measured, modeled and jigging required to precisely hold it. All of which is far simpler on a solid lump of stock material than a pre-existing machined part.

Are you really saying that the CNC idea is a non-runner or prohibitively expensive?

Richard

We use CNC routers for cutting shaped glass reinforced plastic panels. Ours are only flat bed but you could route (panto) a chainring, or anything flat. We almost bought a floating head CNC, now I wish we had, we could have used that for stems :(

What would you think you would charge for doing it - a guesstimate please.

Richard

Hi Richard

That's a bit like the length of a piece of string :) If you did a chainring you first need a digital vector drawing of the logo and lettering to create a plot file for the CNC. Then you need a jig for the chainring so it can't move. The CNC's have vacuum beds but I wouldn't trust it to hold a chainring. So its probably around £70-£90 before you start. I've been tempted to try one but not got around to it. Also, I'm not sure I'd risk a Campagnolo ring first hit!!

A stem would be a whole other ball game. It sounds like ph billet knows more about floating heads and 3d routing. Again, you could have a few nervous moments watching the bit head towards that nice polished Cinelli stem :LOL:

Thanks for that, i think 'back to the drawing board' for that idea. I could buy a NOS stem for £100 ish.

Thanks for the info,

Richard

Latest posts

Back