A Couple of Classics out and about this weekend...

S1m0nR

Old School Hero
Hi All,

Thought you might like to see a couple of retro classics out doing great work this weekend. A friend and I trained for and completed the British Heart Foundation 75 mile bike ride from Cambridge to Southend on Saturday, and did it all on '80s 351 Raleighs.

We completed the 75 miles in 4 hours 55 minutes and between us raised over £600 for the BHF. I (more or less!) built both bikes - his is a 1987 Raleigh Record Ace frame refinished in black and with (almost) complete Shimano 105 groupset, mine is a Raleigh Lightweight frame that I built up a while ago and have so far done about 10,000 miles on.

They looked very good indeed compared with all the aluminium and carbon bikes that were also taking part, the only other retro classic that stood out was a beautiful orange Colagno with chromed dropouts, carbon forks and a brooks saddle. Very Swish.

DSC04762_zpsaeb9337b.jpg

Leaving Cambridge

DSC04809_zps0b1145a7.jpg

At the finish

DSC04817_zps72a8e568.jpg

How to double the value of a Rover 45

Cheers,

Simon R.

Well done on a good cause.
Have you seen the Raleigh and classic lightweight sites on flickr.I would be nice to see both on there.

Congrats on finishing and collecting the money for a good cause.

Good to see the Raleighs mixing it with the modern stuff - easy to know what stood out from the crowd!!

Richard

I wasn't sure whether you meant the bikes or the riders :roll: ;)

Good ride, congratulations. Looks like it was a nice day for it.

Well done for the money raised, I rarely see older classics out on my cycleway route (m7 cycleway though western Sydney) . Looks like its still a bit chilly in Europe, today will be 25c sunny and low winds.

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

It was probably the first really nice cycling day of the year which made a change because the event was supposed to be taking place a couple of weeks earlier but was postponed due to driving snow and a cutting 25kph+ wind which would have been in our faces all the way. No thanks!

Sydney sounds nice this time of year - it's been similar to that the past couple of days in Cambridgeshire but (woulndn't you just know it!) over night the temperature's dropped 10 degrees and it's raining ready for the weekend.

Think I'll nip out on the Raleigh on Sunday though I'll have restless legs by then ;-)

Back