A Complaint!

I had the same problem, seems to be a few USE threads lately regarding these crap seatpost clamps.

154097d1292210017-how-autistic-you-holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

Although this made me chuckle:

Radar":4en2hbhk said:
They need to be done up tight (1 1/2 threads sticking out at the front IIRC), Zip ties help positioning prior to bolting together. Yes the bolts are made of cheese and the heads round really easily, but USE have always sent free replacements. This was why they changed them to the cyclops fitting.

Having to measure how many threads are sticking out?
Zip ties to hold the saddle in position?
Crap bolts?
Heads rounding easily?
Having to wait for USE to send out replacement bolts when they round off?

These factors do not a good seatpost make... ;)

I went over a dropped (1/2 height) kerb, there was a loud bang and when I sat down I nearly tore myself a new Ahole as there was no saddle there.......Fantastic

futuristicoldman":1kh494q5 said:
I went over a dropped (1/2 height) kerb, there was a loud bang and when I sat down I nearly tore myself a new Ahole as there was no saddle there.......Fantastic

I understand your pain!
:D
What annoys me is that even cheapo seatposts on a £99 bike from Sports Direct get it right but USE love boring new sphincters

Never had a problem with the USE clamp or the copies created by other manufacturers, everything seems very secure. I will admit the alan bolt at the front can be a pain to access but once fitted you can forget it.

I just remembered.....It wasnt the bolt that snapped on mine, the whole top of the alien head shaped cradle crumbled away. It was a couple of months old and the bolts had been set to torque with a very good quality torque wrench. I had a hard time getting it replaced under warranty until I told them that I was going to return all my shop stock to them as I could not confidently sell an un warranted product. In fairness the new posts are fantastic, far easier to use and much stronger. I would not hesitate to use one now. It could be argued that such an obviously delicate and lightweight product should not be used for more than a few years (for the same reason as people tend to retire their 850 gram hi modulus carbon race frames after a season or two). If companies did not push the boundaries of weight and performance like this we would all still be riding 7 speed bikes with no suspension, cantilever brakes and threaded headsets....And who would be smiling then?

futuristicoldman":bhf0nj4q said:
If companies did not push the boundaries of weight and performance like this we would all still be riding 7 speed bikes with no suspension, cantilever brakes and threaded headsets....And who would be smiling then?

Everyone here? :)

Push the weight/performance boundaries, but do it with your race and r&d teams. Do not disregard the public's safety.

Iwasgoodonce":1955z32f said:
The last few rides I have been on have all been ruined by the clamp slipping and the nose of the saddle sticking up into the air at an angle of around 45 degrees. If the damned thing had stuck up any more I would have had to lube it! It is impossible to repair the thing on the trail as nobody this side of the Atlantic has a 2.5mm (or I'm guessing the Imperial equivilant) Allen key with them.

I don't disagree about the merits or otherwise of the design, but have looked at both my (cheap) multi tools, and they both include a 2.5mm Allen key.

Well as I type my saddle has just "exploded" off my seatpost nearly impaling my rectum in the process. Got to try and get it on and ride home at dusk slowly through swarms of midges.
That's it, last I'm using this damned seatpost.

Back