Colnago Experts, can you help?

johnggow

Retro Newbie
Any Colnago experts out there?

Can you help identify my new find. Of course it's steel, but I can't figure out what it is. It was sold as a Super but so many things don't seem right.

I can add more pictures if it helps

Attachments

• Colnago Full Frame non drive side.jpg
    Colnago Full Frame non drive side.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 438
  • Colnago Front Forks (Precisa.jpg
    Colnago Front Forks (Precisa.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 438
  • Colnago 3 point lug.jpg
    Colnago 3 point lug.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 438
  • Colnago downtube, painted logo not decal 2.jpg
    Colnago downtube, painted logo not decal 2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 438
I've seen a few Colnagos like this one. It looks to me to have been given the Dutch respray treatment. Someone in Holland regularly rebirths old Colnagos with a fresh lick of paint, and then sells them on fleabay. Sometimes they have a simplified Art-Decor paint job, but this one is more basic. This one looks like it hasn't been rebuilt since the respray either. Genuine Colnogo paint jobs don't typically have the brand on the top tube. Instead they have the model if they are hig-end, and are just blank if they are lower end of the Colnago spectrum (which is still high-end compared to many other bikes). All the tubes on this one appear to be round, so it's not a Tecnos or a Master. I'm going to assume that the headset is original, and was replaced back on the bike after the respray. Lovely late C-Record (1992-1994) headset too. On that basis I reckon it's a C94.

Also, it looks like there is yellow paint on the bottom bracket, implying that they didn't remove it prior to painting. Is that right???

+1 on the Superissimo and the respray. I had a look at several of my old Colnago catalogs and this frame is the same as the 1989 Superissimo except for the paint scheme. Although, duing this period Colnago had WAY TOO MANY MODELS so could be original.

Steven

Thanks everyone on the comments. Having done some more research, and taking all the replies it does look like a Superissimo. It could be a respray, but there are no decals except for the headtube. All the logos are not decals, but painted. The paint quality is outstanding, so whoever done it has done a really fantastic job. The bottom bracket has no sign of paint on it at all.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has any further thoughts, just let me know. Colnago have come back to me now and said that it could be a Super, but I think this forum has so much useful information.

Thanks again

Back