Ibis Ti Mojo dilemma .. What would you do?

It's cool to see pictures of Steve Potts' work :cool:
What will you do for decals? It was the purple original ones ?
I tried to ask Scot nichol to make another set in purple, but he only could make silver or black on Chuck Ibis :|

well according to the tracker, she arrived in memphis airport last night... hopefully thats a stopping over point.

when he did work on my bowTi Steve found some new old decals and included them in the price... on the seatpost is the small ti tubing decal. the others are pretty scratched but probably not affected. Maybe he'll have more. This age ti mojo it wasnt purple it was the slightly later white logos.

Hey Joe, what's the news on the salvage operation?
Not going to give you a lecture on what to do, but if your sorted with a modern disc equipped Ibis why not keep this as it is.
Recently found me one and would be interested to hear if it was the weld on the seat tube were the two parts meet that failed?
Mine has lost it's mojo, the handjob is gone!
So I would be grateful for any tips where to get one fitted!

hi retro guru - I did, its with steve potts and its staying original. The new seat post will be bigger diameter tube but it will look the same. Yeah it was the join between the seat tube and top tube but on the outside edge. After 18/19 of riding it 2 or 4 times a week including in rigid SS mode it failed. It was my mistress in life, my bit on the side, so i had to send it back for a fix.

As for the handjob, you need to get that sorted. You have to find a ti welder who you trust. I chose Potts as his work on my bowTi was frankly AWESOME ART. There isnt anybody here in the UK I would let near the ti mojo, no disrespect but I just wouldnt. So when it failed it had to go to California to be fixed. One word of warning with steve is that he is a busy man and you have to be patient. He's also more interested in welding ti than emails and communicating. But thats sort of the way you want it. If you send your bike to him expect a few months before he turns it around. For me thats a good job as it give me chance to save some money so that I can pay for the work!

:)

I have one, unless you put a brace between the stays you will have a lot of flex

the stays are a tad spongy to begin with....

they do ride great....

I would not add a tab, nor would i ever part with the hand job

IF you are seeking better braking, try adding a booster to stop flex...or try some pauls canti's

i did this for a while...they work great

I guess the point of the bike is to enjoy it (no matter what)

If you have the ability to keep as is - i would stay canti - and get a modern ti bike like a moots 29er, or a POTTs

I have a wound up fork on my ti mojo, a one off, that is 410mm (I think it is a mountain tandem version). I have also used an ingleheart fork on it 420mm, both were set up for canti's or V.

IF you had for instance an IBIS Silk Ti with and 1 1/8 head tube, i would add the tab, as the geometry is more in line with modern bikes.

Re: Where to source the cast handjob wire stop?

Joe, agree with Potts being the safest bet for jobs requiring welding!
But my guess is that the handjob is cast in brass and press fitted, possibly using heat to expand the titanium tube.
So no welding needed and most frame builders with a blow torch should be able to fit one. My problem is where to source the cast handjob wire stop!
Hope you get your frame soon enough!

Back