Looking for a car, possibly a 4x4?

Kinda feel like we're going off topic. If I personally had a 4x4 I would rarely use it and I'd probably be going to the top of a mountain once every two weeks. I wouldn't drive around where I live anyway unless I had to.

So, are the any vehicles (cheapish) that are like a 4x4? Maybe in terms of size in the back? I don't want a Ford Van. I drove one once and thought I was going to die. I drove my brother's 4x4 jeep thing years ago when I couldn't drive (this was on a field) and I loved the height and distance of seating from the front of the car.

MPV? you can take out the back seats on most of them and the storage space becomes cavernous. They also have a high seating position similar to a 4x4.

Bound to be loads of old ones about real cheap.

Hi,

I drive a SAAB 900. The model the called Combi Coupe somewhere in the past. It is very spacious. It carries several bikes easily. It has also a very huge opening at the back what makes it even more convenient for bike transport than a station imo.

My car being a 1992 model has a catalysator.

It is not very economical. Orange71's 9000 is much less thirsty. I know from own experience as my father has a 2.3lpt. It need absolutely not much for a car its size. It 9000 is also a very rust free. Not that the 900 is bad, but it is not at 9000 level. Positive for the 900 is that it has loads of character.

If I were in the market for a car now I would probably buy the same, but I would also take a look for an original 500E or -nice with the weather- w124 convertible. Not with the ugly white blinkers. On the hand I could also imagine opting for such as a Rover P4, Borgward Isabella or ponton Mercedes.

Russell":m1r855yq said:
Regarding the TVR vs 4x4 question though, all I was saying is that if you have to have a car, maybe you should go for the safer option as a method of damage limitation?

So repeating the question, why did no-one ask the questions of Jez and his TVR? Here is a car that is renowned for it's unpredictable handling, is capable of far higher speeds than a 4x4, has very poor all round visibility, all of which is not true of most 4x4s. Safety is not all about the affect of an impact, but also the contributing factors that can put it in one.

Can you honestly say that you buy a car purely based on it's safety to pedestrians, 'green'ness and all that good stuff, or do you also consider what pleasure it gives you (how it looks, performance, how it handles, etc). If that is the case, then what makes you (or anyone else) the ruling judge on what is an acceptable compromise.

I get frustrated with the anti-4x4 lobby who feel they have the right to define this compromise to tackle a small issue when, as you say, thousands of people die on the roads in the UK, in accidents where no 4x4s are involved.

Russell":33eqvry4 said:

A good one with removable seats has huge biking potential for carrying, changing, etc. Older Scenic's can be had for very little and are robust little vehicles.

Also, plenty of room in the back for entertaining the ladies if you can convince them to get in! They're living proof that it isn't straight forward to make something practicle and sexy! :LOL:

In a similar vein to all the Saab recommendations, it'd be worth considering a big Volvo (850, S/V70). They're ridiculously cheap to buy (especially the saloons), have more usable interior space than almost any comparable car, reasonably good on fuel (though you might avoid the turbos if fuel economy is a priority), very solid, very well supported for spares and are very nice to work on.

Oh, and they're remarkably good to drive and smoother than creamy butter...

Have to agree with Elev12K you cannot beat SAAB 900 classics. Very safe, strong and reliable, simple to maintain, good rust resistance, Quirky, plenty of parts available, classic insurance, a heater that will curl up the soles of your sneakers with heated seats to match, sleeps 2 in comfort, swallows anything a Volvo estate would struggle with, timeless looks, classless, wouldn't look out of place anywhere and the chavs have no interest in them, usually been owned by money'd folk and therefore well looked after and not run on a shoestring and neglected, 175BHP Turbo version still can cut it....................Need I go on?

I have had dozens over the years and love them to bits, £1000 will buy you a very nice example too. Go for it!

S

4x4

I used to own a Jeep Cherokee and when it was snowing or raining really hard, I would put it in 4 wheel drive and feel much safer with more control than in a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

I've been looking at the Toyota Hilux, they seem quite reliable too as well as cheap to run.

Looks like you can sleep in the back easy.

Back