Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

TheGreenRabbit":3bx2nfxu said:
I managed a few hours, today, spuds in, grass cut, plenty of watering done, a few seeds sown, for cut flowers sowed veg last week, probably do more veg next week. Need to sort out some Dahlia tubers, and get these sorted soon.

Are you are a flowers or veg man then?

Howard - Indeed a two shed allotment :) The height of hedonism. The decking is the base of a porch, pics to follow. All i need is a rocking chair, dungarees and shotgun and i'm well away. Now all the building is done we have to get down to some serious digging and sifting! How are you getting on? That is my favourite Father Ted episode along with kicking Bishop Brennan up the Arse!!!

Bagpuss - Thought you would enjoy it :roll: This fella was swiftly dealy with and will undoubtedly return :(

Evening all – scorchio!!!

I'm mostly fruit, veg and herbs. One of my nearest neighbours on the site grows nothing but dahlias for show competition – at peak season, it's a forest of stunning colours. Fantastic! Then there's old hand Derek who wins everything going every year, and now he runs the site...

Got two good days in on the plot today and yesterday – fab weather. Spotted a sparrow hawk today and a buzzard circling high on the thermals. I'm now a broken and creaky man after all the digging and clearing. Seemed like most folk came out of hibernation today, now the permafrost has receded. Hoping to finally get spuds and onions in the ground this weekend and next.

Karl, you know you have arrived in life when you have two sheds and a deck! Don't forget the hat and the straw to chew on! Look forward to more pics. I took my camera with today to record my progress but the thing has died – all the pics look like they've captured a brilliant white atomic flash. May be it was just that strange bright orb in the sky. Any way, another thing to replace. I managed to clear debris, dig over and weed about 300 sqft this afternoon, which is probably why I feel a broken man.

Despite all the Father Ted reruns on C4/More 4, it's still one of the funniest things – has my missus reaching for her inhaler. The 'Bishop Brennan' one is a classic, along with 'Speed 3', 'Are You Right There, Father Ted', 'Good Luck Father Ted' and the one with all the priests caught in "the worlds largest lingerie department". Ah go on, go on – they're all classics.

Oh for some more gardening leave...

Defiantly leaning more towards flowers this year, do like growing veg, there are quite a few characters on the allotment, Indiana Bob and the chickens to name one, and a strange tradition of having a beer first thing on a Sunday morning before starting work. along with a about a hour of tall stories and general talking. I am sure there is enough around for a 'Strange Denizens of the allotment' thread all of there own, mind you I am sure I would be on it !

Hi Green Rabbit,
It's good that you're leaning towards the flowers. When you see a plot that's devoted to flowers or the decorative, it really lifts the character of a site from the usual clutter of veg growing. The guy near me who grows only dahlias, his plot looks stunning, in full bloom.

My odd shaped sloping plot (a large truncated triangular area) contains a variety of growing conditions. One corner at the lowest point often floods, so this is going to have a wildlife pond and boggy marginals zone. Towards a corner that's higher, drier and in full sun, we're going to have a wild flower meadow mix leading to a gravel garden. Inspiration comes from Christopher LLoyd's Great Dixter and Beth Chatto's mix of gardens, amongst others. For me, it's not all about fruit, veg and productivity.

On New Year's Day, a small few of us gather on the allotment and enjoy some 'vintage' sloe gin together. It's a good mix of people and it often takes us half an hour to walk the entire length of the site to our plot, after catching up with others.

There are characters, Derek who wins everything and has taken over as site sec from Lawrence and his literary crowd, there's Italian Maria in her late 80's who's fiercely independent speaks broken English but swears prolifically in perfect English, then there's Evel Knievel who's good at scaring pigeons... I'm sure your "strange denizens" thread would do very well.

H

Bagpuss, could I borrow one of those splendid Churchill Crocs for my forest of brambles?

Also, you may wish to consider the "napalm in the morning" scene from Apocalypse Now...

H

Attachments

• apocalypse-now-beach.jpg
    apocalypse-now-beach.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 282
Back