Cleaning Grey Campagnolo Jockey Wheels

kettlo

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have just finished restroing a C-Record rear mech and I want to try and bring a fairly decent set of jockey wheels back to life. I have cleaned all the loose dirt from them but cant get the last bits of discolouration from the plastic, i'm sure you know what i mean. Does anybody know of anything that will strip this off the plastic and bring them back to grey?

Many thanks for any help....

Stephen

Attachments

• jockey.jpg
    jockey.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 429
The problem is the surface is scratched and oil has got into the scratches, I wonder if a weak solution of bleach would help

The only other thing I can think of is some 400 grade wet & dry then 800 grade then 1200 grade and remove the top surface, then some cutting compound (T-Cut, Farecla or similar) to restore a polished smooth finish to them

This clip gives an idea of how to restore headlamp lenses, and it is the same sort of idea for your jockey wheels

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA[/youtube]

Why not ride your bike after giving the drive chain a reasonable coating of lube? Before you know it, the jockeys will be nicely covered in a film of oil/muck and your bike will be happier for being thrashed. When you are blowing out of your asre up a steep hill, the colour of your jockey wheels will suddenly fade into the right context :)

bobbinogs":10ok82fh said:
Why not ride your bike after giving the drive chain a reasonable coating of lube? Before you know it, the jockeys will be nicely covered in a film of oil/muck and your bike will be happier for being thrashed. When you are blowing out of your asre up a steep hill, the colour of your jockey wheels will suddenly fade into the right context :)

Maybe i'm trying to clean them up so I can make the mech more presentable for sale.....

Back