HAREWOOD HOUSE 11/5/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc two tone

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
North east, north and west yorkshire area group proudly present....

HAREWOOD HOUSE

Saturday 11th may

START:: Wetherby, Leeds- linton road carpark

POSTCODE:: LS22 6NJ

TIME:: 10:00AM for 10:30am start

DISTANCE:: 25 MILES.

TERRAIN:: Double track, bridalway, and various country tracks

DIFFICULTY:: 2/5

Starting in the pretty market town of wetherby, Leeds. The carpark is free of charge and ample. We immediately embark on a journey up the 'harland way' which is a disused rail trail now serving as a designated off-road cycle route to spofforth, north yorkshire.

From here the route takes us into stockeld park. This area holds a network of bridalway that navigate through rural land and plantations offering nice scenery and double track to enjoy. From here a 'secret' journey to the grand and somewhat beautiful grounds of HAREWOOD house. A simply vast and regal estate that has to be seen to be believed. I will take you round the whole outer trails and, maybe a close-up view of the red kyte! This bird of prey has been reintroduced to northern England and Harewood was the choice place to kick-start the programme.

taken by author

Here's a link to start point.

http://goo.gl/maps/hcSG6

The entrance to the carpark is discreet with no obvious signage. The postcode will get you to westgate, wetherby. Once westgate terminates at a mini-roundabout, bear left, you are on linton road. The start point is on the right by 100yrds or so.

This border-hop takes in many west and north yorkshire villages and little used off-road trails. There are two arterial roads to cross that serve Leeds and Harrogate, other roads that we will ride are just village main streets.

FOOD! Depending on time and any mechanical mishaps we can either lunch at a point that is just over half way or 9/10ths the way through, let's see how it goes. Both good eating village pubs with outdoor seating and 'usual' menu. grubby cyclists welcome.

no helmet= no ride

Unfortunately I can't make this ride, I have done the recce with Marc and I must say you will not be disappointed, sorry I can't make Marc :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Been for a mosey round today. mileage has been edited, don't let it put you off, it's many miles of easy riding. there are one or two sections that need a granny ring but nothing sustained.

There is a bridge that is currently under order of repair, but nothing is actually getting fixed and, hasn't been since the notice as of "15.3.13" so, the bridge is currently 'passable' but may not be by the ride, so i will monitor the situation and take a look the day before the ride as a detour may be needed. This will introduce extra tarmac but i can counter-balance that elsewhere. The bridge when in good nick keeps us off road between two sections and fingers crossed it gets fixed or the notice revoked. either way this doen't affect the ride, just potentially inconvenient. ;)

red kytes all over the shop in harewood.

this one nearly knocked me off my bike. :)

I might well be having a busy weekend, Sherwood and Harewood :)
Put me down as possible, depends if I can get the car or not.

FluffyChicken":wromu043 said:

Nope, can't come :( . We're Sledging on Ice again

FluffyChicken":33vvv719 said:
FluffyChicken":33vvv719 said:

Nope, can't come :( . We're Sledging on Ice again

no worries bud. Hope to see you for the jumble ride in york, possibly before. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back