Help with identifying Raleigh refurb project

Yep seat post states 25.48mm so gas pipe indeed - not that I'm bothered. Seat and seat post came off nice and easy and are being cleaned up now. Both brakes are seized up and not moving, the front is off and first for a good clean up - I'll keep adding pics to my flickr stream as I go along.
The bars and stem are fantastic - a few little knocks and scrapes but such a fantastic shape to them... the stem is stamped Cinelli Milano and the bars are Cinelli Criterium 65-42.

Having seen a bit more of it, it's obvious it'll never be back to showroom condition so the aim is to clean, lubricate, replace cables and make everything work so I can ride it lots!

Attachments

• DSC_0523.jpg
    DSC_0523.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0525.jpg
    DSC_0525.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 245
Thanks for the pic of the stem, along with the triangular shaped 3ttt stem the Cinelli above is a design classic, lost it's grace when everything went aero........ The stem is worth more than you paid for the bike :D

Cheers

Shaun

BobToo":xvfpoo80 said:
The cranks look like standard Raleigh fitment to me, my Criterium has the same set, but with chrome caps.

I've looked at your new pictures. It really was quite forlorn looking, it'll scrub up great though. It looks as if you have made good progress already. The 25.4mm seat post suggests that it's a gas pipe frame, not that it matters IMO, it'll still be a lovely bike once it's been cleaned up.

It might be a good time to link to this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=244778

You Sir, are a scholar and a gentleman - Oxalic Acid ordered and my hands thank you for saving them!

Erm, it now has a stable mate (for riding while the Raleigh is being fixed up I tell myself!) - a Marin Bear Valley... £30. Might have to start a thread about that one on the MTB side ay some point! :oops:

Attachments

• bearvalley.JPG
    bearvalley.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 220
My guess is that it's an early Pursuit, though could well be wrong - aside from paint and decals there was sometimes nil difference betwixt Raleigh models of that era.

Midlife":1xv3n6h4 said:
Blimey, where do you get them from :)

Shaun

The Raleigh was on Gumtree and the Marin was on Ebay - been watching a while though before anything came up that I fancied... the price was so good on them that I couldn't resist although the condition of both is far from perfect! I am learning that that's when the fun begins though!

Come to think of it, Raleigh Chilterns were also around that era and came in black. I think they were normal grade steel.

Thanks all... the (very basic) refurb is slow but progressing - will update fully when it's all done, but here's some of the parts stripped and in various stages of being worked on... the brakes and saddle are coming up nicely considering.
New cables (inner and outer) and brake blocks have arrived and have added £9 to the project cost... :LOL:

Attachments

• DSC_0579.jpg
    DSC_0579.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 144
Back