The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

i can only refer to how i used to use the x tone...........it had a +/- of 9db............and i found the 15kHz very useful for taking the edge off over bright bad recordings that may have hiss in too............and say 60kHz for adding or taking away a bit of bass as i remember, they were the settings i used the most. ? sound any good ? but any +/- unit would be good..... :D

yeh if you want to move to mods/tweeks.......

What if anything positive has happened to CD design/manufacture in the last few years? How do contemporary players fare against older (now 'retro') designs, in the context I suppose that the medium is in its run-out groove phase (see what I did there...)?

Typical contemporary marketing for a £450 player:

With ten years of development and highly-reviewed predecessors in the form of the Azur 640C and 650C, the new Azur 651C has an impressive heritage.With twin DACs each channel has its own DAC to process its own information. This gives a more precise and accurate sound quality with improved stereo imaging. Also as before, the DACs come from the highly respected Wolfson Audio. This time, though, the 651C has used the latest WM8742 model for even greater performance than before. When combined with the Bessel, noise reducing filter, the new DACs help give the Azur 651C outstanding levels of clarity and transparency of sound. New to the Azur 651C is the selectable digital filter technology that had previously only been available on the famous DacMagic. A choice of Steep, Linear and Minimum filter choices allow you to tailor the sound to your personal preferences and room acoustics.Unlike most CD players at this price and, indeed, even above, the Azur 651C comes with a dedicated CD transport. Driving this transport is a highly sophisticated S3 Custom Servo.Just likes its predecessors, the 651C is comprehensively equipped. Complementing the gold-plated phono RCAs are both optical and coaxial digital outputs. Control Bus and IR Emitter sockets make it easy to incorporate the Azur 651C into home automation system. Even the mains the cable uses the highest quality IEC kettle lead connection, to allow for the use of upgraded and heavily shielded cables. Around the front, the comprehensive display features CD Text for easy CD track and album identification. As you'd expect from an Azur product, the sturdy, anti vibration chassis is smoothly finished and rounded off by a thick, aluminium front panel.If it's quality CD performance, pure and simple, you're looking for, then it doesn't get better in this class than the Azur 651C.

They didn't mention the'' handy cup holder'' that comes out when you push the open button ;)

Not sure there's been any major advances. SACD seems to have died a death as it's not really necessary.

I like the suggestion that you can add heavily shielded upgraded mains cables. Kind of like admitting you've not done a great job of designing your power supply isn't it? :D I think there's a temptation to add features 'because you can' not because they're beneficial.

I can see how a CD player designed now could be better than one designed 20 years ago, as technology has improved. Lower noise semiconductors are available, better more precise clocks etc. However, a solid design years ago is still a solid design now and if you're minded to, it can be brought up to date and be a challenger to modern kit.

'new' uses CD-ROM drives and have done for at least 15 years. Very few, if any, bespoke CD mechanisms now. Bring back the Philips CDM1!

cdm1.jpg

marantz-cd63.jpg

And my personal favourite:

marantz-cd94-1.jpg

Check out:

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/homepage/

Should have a working prototype tone control when CPC deliver the last bits I need. details in the other section.

I was just having a clear out and found 4 bundles of speaker wire and a couple of aerial wires, all new. speaker wire is 3m long not sure if its any use to anyone. no idea on price ?? guessing at £5 posted but make me an offer if intrested

HI,

Gold Rega tungsten weight for the rb300 type turntable arms

I used to work for them and had a load of gold plated items..this is just left now

£10

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back