what tyres?

steve wallace

Devout Dirtbag
now dry weather is here ive found the limits of my winter tyres(Michelin wild grip r)
so what summer tyres do people recommend?
I mainly ride trail centres and local bridalways when I cant travel due to time restrictions

Scwalbe's Rons/Nics whichever you prefer the look of for your trails.
or similar from Conti, Michelin, Panaracer....

Each has their own preference.

I have Nobby Nics and they work fine for most of the year, if not getting all round the year. There are faster (less tread versions) in the bone dry or for Fireroads but well I don't go that fast.

Probably Nobby Nics - Pacestar rear, Trailstar front or else Michelin XC Dry2, 2.35" F&R if you've got room for them.
Both easy to set-up tubeless.

bought some Michelin Race R since the Grip R's have been really good in the wet, I hope these will be just as good in the dry
foldable's £20 each from CRC

I've just bought some Racing Ralphs from On One.

£23 each and they're the UST-ready, folding, Pacestar triple compound evo jobbies too :cool:

In other news Steve - I've just seen your Team NRS. I used to have one and I absolutely loved it - I'll have that one off you if you decide to part ways with it ever. I can guarantee you'll regret getting rid of it though... ;)

As has been written Schwalb Ron, Nic, and of course Ralph. Maxxis Crossmark for the front and Larsen TT's for the rear seem to last longer. All of the above in tubeless BTW.

If the Ron and Nic are half as good as the Hans Dampf's, they'll be great.

The trailstar / pacestar works really well. They are so easy to set up tubeless too.

When your running tubeless you might prefer the snakeskin version of the schwalbes on the front as they handle hard cornering way better than the standard EVO ones.

Both of mine are snakeskin and it seems to work.

They had a battering in Hebden Bridge and the Peaks this weekend and they survived just fine, despite some horrible rim on rock noises! Only thing I did manage was to burp the rear tyre on my first dry ride this year, hitting a berm a bit harder than usual with 20psi in it. Aside from that I'm a convert to the Hans Dampf's.

Back