Snap, Crack and Drop!

Twice in about two months, both times within 100m of each other on the same piece of fire road, both just after dropping it into the small ring and stomping on the pedals. Thankfully my standover height is low and I was going slowly.

One was a SRAM 10 speed with 1000 miles on it, the other was a Shimano 8 speed that I think is the chain that came with the bike... 17 years ago.

Yes. Chains, a bb spindle, cranks arms (&^#$ Kooka crap) and the result is the same. Knee into stem, gentleman bits into top tube, tears from eyes.

I've never had it happen to me, but I've seen it happen to 2 other people.

The funny thing is, they were both in the (then) Merida enduro, and they were both people who had turned up the day before and spent the whole time with their bike on an expensive looking stand, meticulously taking off, cleaning up and putting back every single part on their bikes (chains included). Both of their chains went pop on the first serious climb up out of Builth Wells on to the Epynt range - all of about 2 miles from the start.

The moral of these particular stories is "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". :roll:

Although I must say, I was impressed by the cleanliness of their bikes as they clattered into the tarmac....

Snapped about 3 chains but at least 2 were my own fault for not connecting chain properly as too mean to buy a new chain tool as old one did not do the job very well. One chain snap left me flying off pedals and catching top tube in the knackers :(

I've seen a mate half way up a steep offroad incline clipped in have a snapped chain leading to a sudden reverse and crashing tumble into the weeds.......nasty.

Yep a couple. Always happened when changing down to the granny ring, and luckily sitting on the saddle going slow up hill.

had it happen to me once on my kona, luckily during a descent and only smacked my knee on the crossbar

used to happen a lot on my bmx until i switched it to left hand drive

see it a lot these days on newer bikes with 9/10 speed chains

Back