Drivers ‘should be liable for cyclist accidents’

The Highway Code is clear.

"Stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left."

Section 167.

Pyro Tim":3n7kt2ss said:
Most cyclists that do stupid things, like jumping lights

Why is that a stupid thing? If there is no traffic on the road you are crossing, it is perfectly safe to cross the road. In fact it is safer than waiting for the lights to change, for a car to pull up alongside who then decides to turn left across you, or is then trying to push you into the kerb.

The lights are a guide - I have seen many cars go through red lights - relying on the lights should never replace common sense.

highlandsflyer":1s8wvyev said:
They told him he did not have right of way in the lane, to undertake, or something to that effect.

WTF? I couldn't work out what they were saying - underaking? he was progressing quite happily in a bicycle lane if traffic is slower i,e, technically undertaking, so should the cylcist slow down? And why did the police cut in front of him?

strange, ... unless there is some prior footage that we are not shown,

I am not sure what I heard, it is quite hard to make out.

To be honest though, if that is the worst 'cutting up' the wee baby gets in a day riding in London he is truly blessed.

Once the car had gone past me I would have been slowing a little, anticipating what the driver, who was indicating, might do.

I tend to give a wide berth to police, ambulance, medics and fire engines anyway.

Fact of life cycling in busy streets that you will be forced to slow down abruptly now and then.

My guess is the rider is a huge fan of YouTube videos of cyclists 'sticking it to the man' and wanted a piece of that action himself, and went off half cock at the first opportunity.

They ought to have Tasered the runt and thrown him into a skip.

02gf74":32o297eq said:
Pyro Tim":32o297eq said:
Most cyclists that do stupid things, like jumping lights

Why is that a stupid thing? If there is no traffic on the road you are crossing, it is perfectly safe to cross the road. In fact it is safer than waiting for the lights to change, for a car to pull up alongside who then decides to turn left across you, or is then trying to push you into the kerb.

The lights are a guide - I have seen many cars go through red lights - relying on the lights should never replace common sense.

Are you for real? Lights are a guide?

Red means STOP
Amber means STOP
Flashing Amber means you may proceed if its safe to do so.
Green means proceed if its safe to do so.
No light says GO without thinking about it.

Lights are NOT a guide, they are orders that must be obeyed for the safety of all road users.

Lights are a guide............jeez :facepalm:

Back