Is it Acceptable ?

widowmaker":px0l81gc said:
I have exactly the same problem riding my Raleigh Clubman, i was considering fitting more comfortable bars on mine too, the pain puts me off riding it :oops: :cry:

Bike1.jpg

I reckon you can probably get the stem up an inch, and by twisting the bars round 10 degrees or so raise the brake hoods another inch. That would probably transform your riding position.

hamster":3n145yb3 said:
widowmaker":3n145yb3 said:
I have exactly the same problem riding my Raleigh Clubman, i was considering fitting more comfortable bars on mine too, the pain puts me off riding it :oops: :cry:

I reckon you can probably get the stem up an inch, and by twisting the bars round 10 degrees or so raise the brake hoods another inch. That would probably transform your riding position.

Also, if your saddle is still the same position as in the photo, it is sloping too far forwards. You should
try making the top of the saddle as close to horizontal as possible, then if that's not comfortable, make further adjustments from there.

A saddle that slopes forward can cause wrist and/or back pains because you have to use your arms and back to push yourself back into position on the saddle. I had problems with my wrists on one of my bikes and a small adjustment of the angle of the saddle did wonders.

Johnsqual":zrjw9n8f said:
hamster":zrjw9n8f said:
widowmaker":zrjw9n8f said:

Also, if your saddle is still the same position as in the photo, it is sloping too far forwards. You should
try making the top of the saddle as close to horizontal as possible, then if that's not comfortable, make further adjustments from there.

A saddle that slopes forward can cause wrist and/or back pains because you have to use your arms and back to push yourself back into position on the saddle. I had problems with my wrists on one of my bikes and a small adjustment of the angle of the saddle did wonders.
+1 - beat me to it!

Thanks for the info, i had never thought of that :oops:

Just got the bike of my cousin a few years ago and left it as it was :facepalm:

Dual action levers, are you mad, they were called suicide levers for good reason, you couldn't actuate the brakes worth a dam from the tops which I know to my cost, mind you no brakes worked against wet steel rims, ah the good old days :roll:

The new top mounted style brakes from the worlds of CX and Touring though are a good idea , I shall consider that route if only for aesthetics ;)

Referring back, so is it frowned upon to put bar ends on riser bars on an MTB?

( I have 2 1/2 inch risers with long carbon bar ends! )

Maybe not pretty but I like it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 104
Yes it is frowned upon...but only by people who drive their bikes to trail centres and tart about on a few trails. Anyone who has ridden 40+ miles admits it is more comfortable to have bar ends...

Back