Pacific Cycles - Mountain Expert

daugs

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
after finding my 19" marin felt a bit too much of a stretch, was playing with some smaller frames, picked this, Pacific Cycles - Mountain Expert, up off here and been sitting while playing with marins.

Rode fixed while at college in '80s and always liked idea of a single speed, well found some bits but no spare wheels so have used a spare set from 2004 ish ?. These were originally purchased as a spare set for SWMBO's 2003 Trek as she was commuting on it in Central London and I was forever changing tyres over. They are 28 spoke with a rather modern spoke pattern.

8673124900_872e62bacd_z.jpg

So, question, can I get away with these more modern wheels ?....just what was wanted from a ride perspective

or I could swap these back onto the Trek, swapping the tyres over and hope she doesn't notice (or question) and use the original Trek wheels on the project, but these are still modern, if a more standard spoke pattern.

8672343115_e01b9bcece_z.jpg

Oh, and the other issue is that she's 9 st and I'm 13.5st (on a good day) and the trek wheels are 32 spoke so maybe a bit stronger for my more "robust" frame

all comments welcome

ps the ss project is still in progress so yes, chain length needs sorting along with ss cog etc

Re: Single speed project - a real (wheel) dilemma

Leave the 28hole wheels on it they look good, retromod. (In my opinion)

Are they Round? Check
Do they work? Check
Do they fit? Check

Done

unkleGsif":2f8jy3zg said:
Are they Round? Check
Do they work? Check
Do they fit? Check

Done

ah, but will they stay round being 28 spoke and my lardy frame on it and still work ?

guess they will still fit..............

seems no one screaming in horror, sorted, thanks

daugs":wxlswfna said:
unkleGsif":wxlswfna said:
Are they Round? Check
Do they work? Check
Do they fit? Check

Done

ah, but will they stay round being 28 spoke and my lardy frame on it and still work ?

guess they will still fit..............

seems no one screaming in horror, sorted, thanks

My 14.5st have had no adverse effects on my "apparently made of soft french cheese according to many people on here" 32spoke 517's, so you will probably be OK as long as you dont go for that 4ft drop ;)

G

Re: update after finished messing around after 7 years

Thought I would update my original post on where this ended up and the fact the odd question on Pacific Cycles comes up as not very common.

I have ended up with this as single speed hack around London and its great. And the more modern wheels are ok as discussed before, they are even still round.....

50001092451_2677c02079_z.jpg

It did have a stint as a regular mtb a few years back and thought I'd post a pic just for the record

50001339102_5e74c8799c_z.jpg

there's also a discussion on Pacific Cycles here for any that are interested

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86657&start=40

Back