Brodie - Dodgy Listing - Stolen?

OK, I have to admit that I just don't get this. So are people getting excited over the frame, the name, or the potential of a completed bike?

The reason I ask is because the last original and built DOGS I saw on the bay went for something like £600, and from my perspective as a rider, that Brodie would have to be something exceptional to be a better riding bike than the DOGS.

Seems to me that people are willing to pay for what something was rather than what is is now.

NeilM":1ivd2o07 said:
OK, I have to admit that I just don't get this. So are people getting excited over the frame, the name, or the potential of a completed bike?

The reason I ask is because the last original and built DOGS I saw on the bay went for something like £600, and from my perspective as a rider, that Brodie would have to be something exceptional to be a better riding bike than the DOGS.

Seems to me that people are willing to pay for what something was rather than what is is now.

But also, i have seen D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X frames sell for £600, without matching fork and stem. If it was a complete bike in the correct size and condition, I have seen them make £1000 to £1500.

To be fair, i do know of members with them, and changing hands for 4 figures too.

:cool:

sinnerman":1bxg0aam said:
But also, i have seen D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X frames sell for £600, without matching fork and stem. If it was a complete bike in the correct size and condition, I have seen them make £1000 to £1500.

To be fair, i do know of members with them, and changing hands for 4 figures too.

I'm kind of glad to hear that Carl, as I really hate the fact that people get all excited about one frame builder, while ignoring others.

Don't get me wrong, I love a bargain, and I have benefited several times from the lack of interest in British hand made frames, but jumping up and down over a Brodie, when an Overbury's sold for a fraction of the price just seems a little skewed to me.

Each to their own I guess.

FWIW I would pay the starting price if it was my size. It's a super rare frame and fork with original custom paintwork and is in very good condition.

NeilM":eipwg6zy said:
sinnerman":eipwg6zy said:

I'm kind of glad to hear that Carl, as I really hate the fact that people get all excited about one frame builder, while ignoring others.

Don't get me wrong, I love a bargain, and I have benefited several times from the lack of interest in British hand made frames, but jumping up and down over a Brodie, when an Overbury's sold for a fraction of the price just seems a little skewed to me.

Each to their own I guess.

I think the only difference is the Quality of the build, the Overburys, Whilst a lovely bike and British and Fillet brazed, is still a lower quality frame, built to a budget far more basic in its tubing and assembly.

This Brodie on the other hand, is at the other end of the scale, and should be compared to the likes of Adrians Orange Formula, and/or an equivalent build using a a similar tubset.

To be fair, even comparing to a Dogs, is a little out really, given time difference in there fabrication. Even just a couple of years difference, the small steps, might as well have been Giant leaps BITD IMHO.

Back