Where'd you see this retro thing going?

I was into the retro BMX in quite a big way a fair few years ago, just before it got stupid. I split with my g/f around 07 and sold all my bikes of (8 of them) and made £14k which shocked me. I did have some rare bits and they were going up in price. I thought i ducked out at the right time.Fast forward 5 years and i got back into it and the prices had steadily been climbing. Its not unheard of to pay around £400 for a seat post :shock:
Suffice to say i dont buy bits any more.

I stumbled into the retro MTB from modern MTB (couldnt ride the BMX anymore due to motorbike accident and needed something larger to ride).
Love the fact you can pick up a bike for £30. I have now bought 5 retro MFs in the last month all of which collectively cost me less than the most modest of BMX parts.

Will retro MTB go the same way as BMX, personally I doubt it as IMO BMXs have a stronger tie to the heart due to the ages we were when we got into them.

The rare stuff will climb, but the base level stuff will become sought after due to those are the bikes we generally rode BITD (reminiscent purposes).

The BMX scene started as NOS restored bikes we lusted after, to survivors then to the bottom of the range bikes like Piranhas, Puchs etc.
I think retro MTB could go the same way as that but without the ridiculously large prices. Im not in it for the money either, i get bikes I like and i ride all of them. Dont see the point of having them if you dont get enjoyment out of them.

Really like Brocklander's summary, up to and including step 4. I think the future is a bit more open ended depending on a great many things.

I definitely see potential for vintage mtbs to play a much more active role among current cycling scene.

Personally I think there is a great potential to move this beyond simply collecting, owning and discussing online. Already we're seeing a couple fairly big races in the States starting to have a vintage class. I'm talking with a few small online mags about doing featurettes about some vintage bikes, perhaps some shows (I know my and Steve Potts' bikes got a great reception at NAHBS this year) a few other people are working on putting together some other events next year maybe, possibly involving some old time greats. I think there is a lot more that can be done here to continue the interest and keep the legends going.

Maybe I'm naive though...

This is a very interesting thread.
Personally I'm not into the value of old MTB bits at all, and I don't own a huge harem of classics.
I'm like a lot of members on here in that I'm in my 40s with a bit more disposable than I had BITD.
I bought my first MTB in '89. Muddy Fox Courier.
But I've got a job and I'm busy so couldn't possibly ride a large collection regularly, but I do however cycle 20 miles a day to work and back over the Downs of the Isle of Wight most days all year round. The four bikes I own almost gives me the choice of a different bike each day!
So I'd struggle to do justice to a big collection in terms of riding them all and I'm not interested in opening a museum.
Come on guys/gals these bikes are for riding - forget about the money.
I can't think of many things sadder than a classic that never gets a regular ride out.
Find a couple of good steel ones and keep them, ride them and if bits break, mend them. Hey modern parts work on old classic frames too you know!
That's the pleasure and the real value.
I enjoy watching all the threads on here seeing classic frames being restored and given a new lease of life, and that's where the real value is, so long as that is in fact that is what they get....

As Ross said BITD "Ride & Smile"

I've kind of set a rule for myself, I won't pay more for NOS than it was when it was simply 'new'.

Simple :)

slow_matt":lkdohqwq said:
I've kind of set a rule for myself, I won't pay more for NOS than it was when it was simply 'new'.

:?
Not much of a rule then. How about just admitting you don't want to buy anything?

utahdog2003":2c7y13o0 said:
slow_matt":2c7y13o0 said:

:?
Not much of a rule then. How about just admitting you don't want to buy anything?

Done,

Not keen on paying for cutting edge technology when it's not!

I wouldn't spend more on a
1990 Amstrad in its wrapper than than a new mac book

I know of a very good condition Klein 1997 I believe, that's all original, it really is great, and I've told the owner to hold onto it as the price should go up. But I think the retro scene will stabilise out and prices will plato, with modern bikers fancying a weekend toy or garage queen etc.

Interesting thread with some equally interesting posts.

Ultimately only time will tell where this goes, drawing parrallels with another scene can only be guess work at best. One could equally make the analogy between retro bikes and classic cars, there's a scene which seems to be fairly strong.

@mkozaczek - always keen to publish articles on the front page here if there's any you'd be willing to share with us here :)

You could well be right John and my post was based around what has happened up until now and then what did happen to retro R/C. No saying bikes will go the same way.

I guess it was quite a personal post with my enjoyment of both hobbies following a similar pattern. I hope it does keep going but on the buying/selling side I think the heyday has gone. It's got too big and there's only a limited amount of decent bikes out there, most of which get snapped up to be split for a profit.

Latest posts

Back