Hope disc timeline

Quick question about the early hope hydraulics - how can you tell them from C2's? From what I can make out of in the catalog pic they look jus the same as black c2 calipers.

secret_squirrel":1vu1kh8h said:
Quick question about the early hope hydraulics - how can you tell them from C2's? From what I can make out of in the catalog pic they look jus the same as black c2 calipers.

What catalog pic ?

the Ken's super close up - last 2 pics on the first page of this thread. As far as I can see the lever is quite a bit different from the Pro Lever but the caliper looks very c2-ish. But Im sure I read somewhere on the c2 blurb "developed from our first hydraulic brake- the c2 is blah blah blah"

secret_squirrel":3hgm7ay0 said:
the Ken's super close up - last 2 pics on the first page of this thread. As far as I can see the lever is quite a bit different from the Pro Lever but the caliper looks very c2-ish. But Im sure I read somewhere on the c2 blurb "developed from our first hydraulic brake- the c2 is blah blah blah"

The lever looks like the sport version. i say 'looks but it is a sport lever just the earliest.
Not knowing enough about that particular brake i cant really comment because the earliest hydraulic was a closed system and the later O2 was an open .The differences were seen on the lever reservoir top. The open system could be adjusted by turning the dial and on the closed the top was solid(just like todays brakes. However, despite zooming right in i can tell if that lever has an adjuster on it or not. If its there then its painted black and blends in to well to be seen properly.

Have you read the users guide :? it has pics of the C2,Os,DH4,XC4 so you can identify it.

Close up of an early experiment - Shimano hub M732? with the non drive threaded for a hope disc carrier. this was Rod_saetens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 548
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 548
Best I can tell theres OC on one of the flanges which I believe makes it Mar 1990?

Seems a little old? Unless it was just the best one they had to hand?

Quick snap comparing the rear with my front attached to a hope suspension hub - although the spiders are superficially similar the later one is a flat plate whilst the older one has had far more machining.

Inner diameters of the spider are totally different too - 40 odd mm for newer - 33.4mm for older.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 470
could be about right - I'm guessing it is a pre-production prototype, or an early tandem, although I could be wrong, when I spoke to one of the Wetherhills a few years back he said they tried lots of different things back then and no real record was made. The first hubs they actually made were a tandem design with huge flanges. I'll need to check but I'm sure I have both of those flange designs but for splined mounts. how thick is the disk on the old one?

Back