Drivers ‘should be liable for cyclist accidents’

Pyro Tim":70jpwblx said:
I'm sure drivers wouldn't spot they were coppers if they were on bicycles. Speaking of which, we have a bobby on a bike round here. Why is the bike so poor, and poorly maintained?

But then we know the police are as bad as the pubic with cyclists

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK00wAF-tRI[/youtube]

The only time I've ever been knocked off my bike by a vehicle was by a Sherpa full of plod down Balham High Rd.
Bent forks and front wheel but no bones broken. They didn't stop...
Arseholes.

Pyro Tim":3doxe738 said:
I'm sure drivers wouldn't spot they were coppers if they were on bicycles. Speaking of which, we have a bobby on a bike round here. Why is the bike so poor, and poorly maintained?

But then we know the police are as bad as the pubic with cyclists

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK00wAF-tRI[/youtube]

When I watched that, I could quite make out what the coppers said to the cyclist when they caught up to him and pulled him over - anyone give me the gist of it?

so the Police have priority to cut the cyclist up, putting him in danger? Even if he had done something wrong earlier, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Chopper1192":1na6h0i4 said:
No one has 'right of way' anywhere, cos there's no such thing. There's only 'priority', and that's something given, never taken.

Notwithstanding I get why they like to semantically change the terms, to suit agenda, I find the revisionist reinventing of such terms truly tedious. There once was a time when all and sundry were perfectly happy with the term "right of way" just like "accident", but if there's an agenda to kowtow to...

As per the video, the coppers, if that's what they were arguing, were clearly mistaken. I doubt they would overtake a car or motorcycle with such timing before turning left, and I suspect the cyclist was doing a reasonable pace. Quite clearly what they should have done, when intending to turn left at that junction is slowed and let the cyclist continue, rather than what they did do, and followed with what sounds like abusing their power, which in reality only exists with the consent of the public.

No one has changed anything - there has never been such a thing as 'right of way' with regards to traffic flow, in much the same way other road users simply do not come 'out of no where'.

Simply because the term is in common usage does not give it any basis in either law or actuality.

And having viewed that I would say the driver of the police car is a tit. Still and all that offers no justification for the cyclist to then commit S4A public order offences - after all, if you've got time to wave your hands around and swear you're clearly not busy making a life-saving avoidance manoeuver. Copper is a chump, and the cyclist little better if we're being honest.

Chopper1192":uiso9a7d said:
No one has changed anything - there has never been such a thing as 'right of way' with regards to traffic flow, in much the same way other road users simply do not come 'out of no where'.

Simply because the term is in common usage does not give it any basis in either law or actuality.

And having viewed that I would say the driver of the police car is a tit. Still and all that offers no justification for the cyclist to then commit S4A public order offences - after all, if you've got time to wave your hands around and swear you're clearly not busy making a life-saving avoidance manoeuver. Copper is a chump, and the cyclist little better if we're being honest.

Chopper, your no-nonsence responses clearly indicate that you should apply for the job of 'Retrobike Agony Aunt'!

Back