Couriers won't carry bikes any more?

PurleySquire

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I had an issue recently where I sent what was effectively a full sus frame and forks to someone, but before collection was made I had an email from the agency (Interparcel) explaining that bikes are on their list of prohibited items.

I have now heard of someone else with the very same problem.

Any thoughts?

Had a full hard tail delivered complete without even swinging the bars round, with a piece of card taped over the top tube and pedals sticking out of specially cut holes lol :facepalm:

I didnt want to unwrap it incase of damage :roll:

And that was last wednesday from TNT

PurleySquire":122b2o9k said:
I had an issue recently where I sent what was effectively a full sus frame and forks to someone, but before collection was made I had an email from the agency (Interparcel) explaining that bikes are on their list of prohibited items.

I have now heard of someone else with the very same problem.

Any thoughts?

Their T&C's state: "Bicycles / Bicycle frame Prohibited with Interparcel services, Restricted with all others"

This means will not ship at all on an Interparcel branded service, but will ship but not be insured with any of their other re-sold services such as TNT etc, supposedly even if you pay for extra cover.

They changed their T&C's recently as we used to ship computer equipment with them. They tried to suggest that no couriers would cover/insure comp eqpt, however we found a few alternatives within minutes (not tried bikes). Told them we could no longer use them for this reason - now the same with the bikes so I guess I won't be using them again mostly for the above reasons. Don't know anyone on the bikes for now though.

It's a confusing one this; You can send bikes via interparcel with their other services- DPD, DHL, Parcelforce etc,
You can send bikes with UPS via Parcel2go, Monkey etc,
but you can't send bikes or frames with UPS via Interparcel.
I've no idea why, but it's very annoying as their insurance was cheaper and you could book a same day collection up to 2pm. Other agents only offer next day collection.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies, at least I will have a better list of options for next time, I think Interparcel might be the loser too.

Wrap the bike in a big flat box, then they don't know what's in it. None of their chuffing business, provided its not hazardous. Next time some chuffer moans about the recession you direct them to companies like this that then away easy, profitable business.

...none of their business no, but if something happens to it you have no comeback

I think some of these providers like Interparcel are able to offer the branded services such as DHL/TNT etc for a lower cost specifically because they are insured for a core number of items only, and not for perceived difficult to handle/high value items (like bikes)

I sent a bike with Parcel Force today, took it to my local post office (full sized bike box) and the bloke behind the counter told me it was too big, I just said it wasn't and that it weighed circa 11kg, so we agreed to call it 12kg as it wouldn't fit on his scales. The owner of the shops response was if it's too big they'll just not take it and then we'll ring you. :)

Latest posts

Back