Thorns, thorns, thorns....

Chopper1192":2utddpre said:
The sealant used gives some additional resistance to sealing punctures, but its not infallible.

Cheers - sounds like the stuff that some folk pump into their motorbike tyres.
I'm thinking of cutting up a set of old 23mm road tyres to use as liners, I imagine it will make the bike pretty horrid to ride though. Anyone tried this as a solution?

I hate it when the cut those hedges.I had a bit of a fall while out in the woods and really put my back out.Slipped a disc i believe,so I decided to carefully ride home,more coasting as pedaling was just too painful.
PFTSSSssssssssss '&^%$'! :(
Try changing a puncture with a knackered lower back. I had to stop. then use the bike as a crutch to allow myself to sit on the ground to swop out for another tube. (yes i removed the thorn first ;) ) I got it all back together and still in great pain managed to stand up and get back on the bike. Surprisingly i fell less pain sitting and slow pedaling than walking.

PFTSSSssssssssss OH FOR G%*@Sake :shock: Same procedure. Slid down the bike to the ground, no spare tube so its out with the repair kit. 15 mins later im on my feet again and decide just to very slowly push the bike home
By the time id made it to a call box(no mobile) to call my Dad to come get me both tyres had become punctured again but by this stage i was not giving a toss and would keep leaning on it as a crutch and pushing it till both tyres or rims were knackered
6 weeks recovery and i really hate thorns so much ill never go to that offroad section ever again. In fact all country lanes are a no go for me.

I commute all year on country lanes, don't suffer any problems. Trust me, slime tubes is the way. You won't even know there's a problem til you next clean the bike and spot a nice collection of thorns.

dyna-ti":2vhahrim said:
......6 weeks recovery and i really hate thorns so much ill never go to that offroad section ever again. In fact all country lanes are a no go for me.

Crikey dyna-ti that sounds like quite an ordeal, would def put off most folk from cycling again! - glad you are recovered now.

Chopper1192":2vhahrim said:
I commute all year on country lanes, don't suffer any problems. Trust me, slime tubes is the way. You won't even know there's a problem til you next clean the bike and spot a nice collection of thorns.

Thanks for that Chopper1192 - maybe slime is the way forward & you present a very convincing argument for it. I don't want to change where I am riding as I do like exploring canal towpaths!

Don't get me wrong, its not perfect - the tubes weigh some for example. But in terms of sheer get-you-where-youre-going-without-fail dependability its hard to beat.

Ippikin":1zv4ynag said:
I'm thinking of cutting up a set of old 23mm road tyres to use as liners, I imagine it will make the bike pretty horrid to ride though. Anyone tried this as a solution?

I have a heavy old adventure bike that I do this with, I
don't notice any difference but then it's not the sort of bike/riding where I would. Perfect for easy canal paths etc. Works a treat.

I think the effectiveness comes from more than just the double thickness - if something gets through the main tyre it's progress is going to be pretty well slowed down and the inner tyre - unlike a tube - is going to keep out most things. It's certainly cheap!

Chopper1192":1fwtl8vt said:
Tubeless won't make you immune from punctures. It's a pretty good option, but a relative pain in the nethers to fit and seal them, and virtually impossible trailside.
I would say that, to date, it's made me immune from punctures, in the true sense of the word - ie thorns, nails etc.
The only time in four years that I've had a problem was when I actually cut the tyre in the tread area due to hitting square edged rocks at speed (and at low pressure), resulting in too big a cut for Stans to seal. If I'd remembered to top the sealant up, rather than letting it pretty much dry out, then it would most likely have sealed though, so it was mainly my fault.
Anyway, I just threw a tube in, which I would have had to do anyway, tubeless or not, and repaired the tyre when I got back home.

I used to use ghetto tyre liners in 20" tyres on my racing sled dog rig twenty years ago, but if I was doing the same now then I'd be running tubeless tyres, no doubt about it.
And disc brakes too.......

I ride towpaths - and have of course suffered thorns.
I have a retro hack with Slime tubes - and a modern ride with Stans Tubeless.
I've ridden both in the last couple of weeks - both did a couple of Pssssst on me - both sealed.
Didn't have to get the puncture kit out for either - just pumped a bit more air in.

Slime tubes are an easier approach - if your rims etc wont take Tubeless - and you want to change tyres etc.
Tubeless is a bit of a faff to set up - right rims, right tyres etc - it is arguably the better option and I do like it lots!

That said, I'm going to buy another SlimeLite in the next days :)

Horses for courses
No right answer - just what works for you!

Back