Paul's shim or swap, 26.2 inline post or suss post

elPedro666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Looking for a 31.8mm-28.6mm shim for a Paul's Chainkeeper, any front mech shim should do it. Potentially could swap my 31.8mm 'keeper for your 28.6mm but shim seems simplest.

Having ordered my 26.2mm seatpost shim I've discovered my mum has the same size post so now need either an inline (or even throw-forward) post, or maybe a suss post. I've got a scruffy USE I can try out with my shim so might be a bit of faffing before I spend on this one - depends what crops up! Cheap 25.4mm X-Lite could persuade me...

Hi all, looking for pistons/seals/anything related for a set of m975 discs. Shimano don't do spares apparently - presumably instead of changing an o-ring they expect you to bin their flagship £300 brakes after a couple of years when they seize up, as they all do :roll: :x

I think all Shimano use the same bore and pistons/seals etc are compatible - can anyone shed any more light on that?

Gold Hope 160mm rotors found

Also need a 25.0-26.2mm seatpost shim (still!) please...
Found!

Cheers!

Re: Hope 160mm gold & Shimano brake spares

Hi,
You may have tried this already but go to the Shimano website and click on tech docs and add the caliper part number. You should get an exploded view of your caliper with a list of part numbers underneath. You can then contact Madison ( or type the part number into google and see if it comes up at an online shop) and ask for the parts. Any thing I have got before has not been a bargain but when you need spares you need spares. Hope this helps.

James.

Thanks James, I know they won't generally sell them (even to shops) but I haven't tried going direct to Madison so definitely worth a phone call, cheers! :)

Not allowed to tell you why as it would be breach of contract and I could get sued...but In my old job was at a Shimano QC distributor meeting at Shimano Europe HQ two or three years ago where the matter was discussed.

But I can assure you wholeheartedly that there are a myriad of reasons why pistons aren't available. And ripping off the customer is not one of them. Desire to NOT rip off the customer was a reason why they were considered. But there were many other considerations.

I really struggle to see how selling something at ~£300 then refusing to service it so that it's effectively disposable is anything other than a rip-off, especially given what a poor record they have for seizing in next to no time!

Hope that doesn't sound like I'm having a go at you personally - appreciate your input and I guess it's equally as frustrating for you to not be able to explain as it is for me to not hear the explanation! :LOL:

Do you know if the pistons are swappable between models? Just wondering as I have a Deore set here I'd be willing to sacrifice...

Failing that I guess I'll be looking at getting them skimmed down :roll:

How about this rotor then, surely that's a bit simpler?! :mrgreen:

Re: Hope 160mm gold, 25.0-26.2mm shim & Shimano brake spares

Haven't got a shim to fit, but CRC and wiggle have them, just got a 25.0 - 31.6 from wiggle for a £5

Re: Hope 160mm gold, 25.0-26.2mm shim & Shimano brake spares

Well roger me sideways with a rusty pole - I've been checking them for months and months, CRC are out but just ordered from Wiggle, cheers! :cool:

Re your question about whether the pistons are compatible - i am working on that basis myself - i've got the lx/xt/m960/m975 brakes myself - they all use the same size brake reservoir and pads. The only difference i can see is that the more expensive, the smaller (and lighter the caliper) It's easy to pick up cheap lx caliper so its probably worth a try.
What about warranty ? - i seem to recall that the warranty is 2 years (though i may be mistaken)

M975 calipers can be picked up for £60 including rt97 rotors - here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-M975-XTR-d ... 2a26b002a2 or from petra. I thought that wasn't a bad price when i bought mine.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheers Bob, not bad when you consider the price of the rotor alone! For the moment I've kept them working with a pressure bleed, will do a proper bleed soon.

Another shim or swap added... 31.6mm-28.6mm front mech

Back