1988 Peugeot Aravis

Evening all.

Thought a bit of an update might be in order now that the winter is over and its time to ride these here retro bikes. The Aravis has morphed to its original state with the 'accidental' acquisition of a complete 105 groupset and MA40 wheels (including original SLR brake cables). I also found the original Atax stem and Phillippe Tour de France handlebars (they had been living on another bike since an unfortunate prang in 1990...). Anyway, here it is looking very 'original'.

The donor bike even came with the dust caps for the 105 chainset and the little black plugs that fill the unused bottle cage mounts. Could do with a simplex seat post, though, and some white brake lever hoods. First things first: lets ride it!!

Nice project, or should I say long termer, Looked in here as I'm building up it's pov spec cousin as my first true roadie bike, a mid late 80's Premiere in 103 Carboheavy. It's a survivor as it had the worst patina moonlighting as a neglected riser bar'd no frills commuter, but if it's as solid as I hope I've cleaned it for a honest bike along with a white Turbo ;) and glad you decided to just clean yours too, looks like a quality bike!

I've not seen your build before, - but yours definitely strikes a chord with me - and I really like the end results. Don't blame you at all in bailing to a triple on those hills last year, in fact there's no way I'd ever get up there on my banana with 42x21...

Just came accross this, great write up and great bike.

I to had a Peugeot back in 89 / 90 which was bought with paper round money (well 4 rounds every day).

I've just bought a 1989 653 athena frame which I will shortly be building up. Never got around to finishing mine back then before I chopped it in on a mountain bike wish I had kept it as you did as it was a team 753.

Any way as you said we have more than paper round money these days so I'm building mine with all the period bits I wanted back then.

Can't wait to see how 25 years + an addtional 6 stone effects the ride.

Again great bike ......... its a credit to you.

Back