A general top cap related thought?

lawson

Retro Guru
Hi, allow me to waffle an idea that probably wont work. :?

Having had preload adjustment on pretty much all of the forks I have ever had, I am now in the possession of a pair of Rock Shox coil forks that do not have said adjustment. They are done by adding spacers under the top cap.

My question is thus. Do you think its possible to fabricate my own preload adjustable cap by somehow modding, say a Bomber z1/2 top cap gubbins into my aluminium top cap?

I assumed the basic principle to be the same?

Ideas gents? Cheers Mike

what forks are they? best bet would be to nick the innards from a higher up version of the same

They are a pair of Rock Shox Lyriks.

Does anyone have a spare adjuster handy? Z1 or z2?
Any ideas?

Thanks for responding. Mike

Adding preload doesn't change the fork's resistance to bottoming out, it just makes the fork feel stiffer when you initially push down on it. Much better off just getting the correct spring for the fork to be honest, which is why most forks don't come with any preload adjusters.

I know that, and I do have the correct spring.
U just want a bit of initial propping up if you catch my drift.

walleater":nyyeudnq said:
Adding preload doesn't change the fork's resistance to bottoming out, it just makes the fork feel stiffer when you initially push down on it. Much better off just getting the correct spring for the fork to be honest, which is why most forks don't come with any preload adjusters.

Most forks did come with a preload adjuster (we are in retro, no idea of modern). It allows you to adjust the usable travel for the given range of the spring. Only the budget forks didn't or didn't make it as easy.

also given a spring would never be fully compressed, it alters you start and end stiffness (at the end of the stroke the spring would be compressed by that initial preload reduction also.).

Back