Help with rear mech problem please...

Daddy Pig

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all

1st ride on road bike today with 'new' RX100 rear mech (bought from a fellow RB'er). On largest sprocket, the mech is just contacting spokes (very annoying). This is the first time I've had this happen. Have posted the pic below, and my question is this: Is it the mech or the hanger that is out of line? I think it's the mech - can I fix it if so? Advice would be much appreciated...

Attachments

• P4211087 (Large).JPG
    P4211087 (Large).JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 299
It's the hanger that I thought of first, it's just that it ran OK with the old kit. Stick an old axle in the hanger and see where it points :)

Shaun

Long after my time, but is the inner guide plate upside down?
We always ran the gears touching the spokes in the old 4 1/2 inch rear width days. Otherwise the R H spokes were almost vertical.

Does look like the mech hanger is bent, but hard to tell from the angle of the photo. I've also had bent mechs. Either way, have a look directly down from above on the mech and sprockets when it is on the largest sprocket. The mech cage and the sprocket should be parallel to each other; if not, either the mech or the hanger (or both) are bent. Looks like a steel frame, so the hanger is easy to bend back into alignment (carefully). If it is the mech cage, that can also be done. If the mech has just gone all loose at the joints, get a nicer one...
Nick

keithglos":2p26ns4g said:
Long after my time, but is the inner guide plate upside down?
We always ran the gears touching the spokes in the old 4 1/2 inch rear width days. Otherwise the R H spokes were almost vertical.
I agree with Keith. The end of the cage that is 'single sided' should be at the top. Something is definitely bent as well, the cage should be hanging vertical.

Hi Guys
Thanks for all your feedback. I've sorted the upside down cage, and have given the mech & hanger a 'tweak' by hand. It's no longer hitting the spokes, but I'll probably get a lbs to check & align the hanger using the proper tool.

Latest posts

Back